supervised free-ranging - can you truly protect from hawks?

Pics

Havi Hoagie

Chirping
May 21, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi all -

New chicken mom here. We have 4 x 6wk Wyandottes. My plan from the beginning was to do supervised free range, as we've seen red-tailed hawks on our property here and there. We're on 3 acres near the city and I joke that our place is kind of a nature preserve. Our property is also something of a playground for hawks with a ring of trees around a fairly open lawn (we have some lower coverage for chickens but could definitely use more).

On day 3 of supervised free range (we'd been letting them out before dusk), my husband, sons and I were playing about 10 ft from our chicks. My back was to them but luckily I turned just in time to see a hawk heading straight for the girls. Instinct took over and I ran at the hawk screaming. He flew up into a tree while we got the chicks back in the coop. I'm so glad nothing happened but so disappointed that the hawks have already shown up. I was really enjoying watching the girls explore.

They've now been in their tractor for 3 days. I heard the hawk in a spruce near our house the next day but have not seen it since. I know we have crows regularly so hopefully they are helping keep the hawks in check as well.

So, my questions are:

- have others had luck w/ protecting their flock by staying very close? even after a hawk attacked somewhat nearby? now I'm nervous to even do supervised free range, especially if I have my 4yo and 2yo sons with me
- should i wait until the chicks are older and wiser to do supervised free range?
- is there a better time of day to free range? or should we mix it up if possible? I've read conflicting things about letting them out at dusk
- is the smartest option to get a rooster (or goose?) had shied away from roos, mostly because of my kids (and memories of my grandma's rooster jumping on my brother's head :()
- I could encourage chicks to explore the perimeter of our yard where there's plenty of coverage?
- here's my craziest thought - does anyone carry something to deter hawks while out with chickens? I'm picturing myself with an umbrella with crazy reflective things on it. something to indicate to my neighbors how normal we are

Also - just to note, I *think* it was a juvenile red-tailed hawk

I know there's no definitive answer here but I like to hear other people's experiences.

Thanks!

i think in my case the hawks were short on food, we were gone, and there was nothing protecting my hens..... now i have a rooster!!!
20200506_151443.jpg

Where I am nothing deters them they'll attack in front of me. They'll attack with roosters present. They'll attack with my guard donkey present. They will figure out they can fly in a tiny triangle of unprotected area on an otherwise covered run and then get stuck and act like you're murdering them when you are just trying to free them even though they are a pain in the tush... But anyway. We can't free range. They get picked off quick. Mine go in a tractor or a securely covered run. I like watching chickens free range but it's just not safe here. Even with cover and places to hide.

Here in NW Ohio we have Red Tailed hawks too but they aren't interested in chicken. They prefer rabbit and squirrel here. The hawks I really had problems with were Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned. Also Great Horned owls will tear up your flock while you sleep. Yes, they will even go into the coop. I have proof on game cam. The only solution for me was to cover my entire run with bird netting. Only supervised yard time if I can be physically present. Hawks will strike if you go in for a few minutes. Been there, done that, lost the birds and had to replace them. I highly advise making your presence known. Clap your hands at hawks and walk right up to the tree they are sitting in. Yelling doesn't work, they don't care how much you yell. Clap your hands and they'll fly off.

And I also recommend getting a rooster to guard. They will alert to danger, even if you aren't paying attention.

When you have a hawk visitation, keep your birds in their safe coop and covered run for at least two weeks, until that hawk moves on elsewhere. Most will return every three days or so, and having these chicks out then is a bad idea.
Most of my hawk problems have been with young birds like yours, and bantams. Usually here it's been Cooper's hawks, although I haven't seen every attack every time to be sure.
Once the flock witnesses a hawk attack, the survivors will be more careful. That doesn't help that first victim though.
Having places to hide help too, and the right adult chickens, either wise hens or a good rooster, make a difference.
Training and fencing a dog for this takes time, and is expensive! Maybe two years, property fenced, and maintaining the dog or dogs, not small ones either.
Free ranging is great, but you will have losses! If this is not something you want to deal with, forget about free ranging, and build a nice big run for your birds.
Mary

My favorite is the American Game rooster, although you can have only one. Mine are very good around people.

A rooster being a problem can be a function of genetics and / or how raised / treated even as an adult. A lot of people may not be well suited for roosters as will create monsters in relatively short order.

Back
Top Bottom