Supper Sad Right Now :(

Blue Rooster

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
I just got home from a late night movie to find that one of my hens had been eaten by a fox with feathers everywhere.
hit.gif

This one hen loved to fly over into the duck pen and hang out i guess tonight she decided to stay out and then perch on the ducks fence instead of flying back over to the chickens side. We have two separate pens and one coop where the ducks and chickens stay in at night and we had already put the ducks in with the chickens before we left to go eat.

Even though it was 6ft high fencing the fox still got her. Its even more sad because i had raised her from a chick and she was one of 8 americanas that are only a year old.
sad.png
Though i am sad i am still reveled that everyone else was safe and the fox didn't get into the coop.

This is the first time we have lost a chicken to a fox in 6 years. We lost several hens to a fox our first year raising chickens and we didn't have a pen then, we just had them out wandering around.

R.I.P my lovely Rue
sad.png
hit.gif

I understand, and I am so sorry. I have been raising chicks for only around three months and already lost my 4 weeks old Barred Rock to a Hawk, and two little batam one silkie and one cochin to a squirrel. They were only 4 and 5 weeks old. I was so devastated and am still sad. I raised them from days old chicks, and they are my babies. I just feel so overwhelmed by so many predators that prey on chickens. I didn't know squirrel eat baby chicks. The squirrel is still around and comes to my yard to eat fruits. The hawk still comes and perches on a electrical pole nearby looking at my chicks. I look like a crazy woman running around chasing the squirrel and yelling at it. I got a trap, but it just ate all the sunflower seeds and got away. I think the trap was too small. I am getting a bigger one for squirrel because I have read on BYC that squirrel can kill adult chickens.

Back
Top Bottom