supplemental light question

Rushdoggie

Songster
Jun 15, 2018
Vancouver, WA
So I was thinking about adding supplemental lighting to increase egg production as I live quite northerly and our winter days are very short.

My girls live in a coop that has a smaller enclosed roosting area and a bigger open run area that is attached. They have an auto pop door that lets them out in their chicken yard when it gets light (it has a sensor).

If I added morning light to the enclosed roosting area, would that be enough, or would I need to light up the open run area too? Because it has screen sides (that I cover with clear plastic in winter to cut wind) it would be harder to light up well. But if the light where they roost comes on, they will likely wake up and come down to eat and drink.

You are correct in adding the light in the morning. The chickens wake up and will start to eat. After a little time, the outdoor access opens and they go about their merry way in RUN.
The light will keep their pineal gland signaling they need to lay/produce eggs.
I just answered a very similar question this week, so here is a link to that post. Easier than rewriting same thing again.:frow
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...alorps-still-not-laying.1423637/post-23413299

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom