Supplementing starter feed for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mrs. Mucket, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Do any of you start chicks with anything but commercial starter? I have gotten so much "dust" in starter crumble bags lately (and have limited feed store options) I am wondering what else I can feed baby chicks that will help them get a good start.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

The only time I got a bag of mostly dust, that was suppose to be crumbles was from a" off brand "of chick starter, so I always by Purinia chick starter ( I buy all chicken food that is Purinia) so maybe buying a well known bag of feed would be better for you to buy, plus I would take the dust bag back to the feed store. Another thing you could do is mix water in with the dusty feed and make a mash for them. I know they all love that too!

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I feed my new chicks starter mash from my local feed mill. They LOVE it, so I have never felt the need to supplement it. You might check to see if this is a possibility for you. If you continue with the chick starter from the feed store, try to find a freshness date, etc. and/or say something to the management about the dust. I know that a lot of people feed yogurt and scrambled eggs when they are newly hatched. Good luck on finding good feed for your chicks! [​IMG]

4. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I would try dumor. it doesn't come in medicated, but the chicks ate most of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by