Supplements for Laying Ducks

Also, along the lines of ducks getting ready to lay, some of my females are mounting each other in the pool and doing some weird head bobbing with each other. But my drake seems clueless and just stands there without any interest in any of them. Is it common for males to mature later than females?

Also, along the lines of ducks getting ready to lay, some of my females are mounting each other in the pool and doing some weird head bobbing with each other. But my drake seems clueless and just stands there without any interest in any of them. Is it common for males to mature later than females?
It really depends on the male, but I have found that the ones that appear less interested at first tend to be the most docile. My one drake I never saw mount a hen until he was 6 months, but he is also my most docile and calm. He's 3 years old now and still a fairly calm drake. I only separate him to keep my other drake company.

It really depends on the male, but I have found that the ones that appear less interested at first tend to be the most docile. My one drake I never saw mount a hen until he was 6 months, but he is also my most docile and calm. He's 3 years old now and still a fairly calm drake. I only separate him to keep my other drake company.
Well that's good to know. He has been a pretty calm guy so far. He was supposed to be a female Welsh Harlequin but I'm glad he isn't :D

I wish my flock was better at foraging! Maybe I should cut back on their bagged feed and walk them out farther every day. They do have a nice pasture area in their yard to eat from, they just don't go out there.
Certain breeds are known to be better foragers than others. You should put a water container in the area you want them to check out (as long as it's a safe area) -- that should encourage them to hang around there.

Certain breeds are known to be better foragers than others. You should put a water container in the area you want them to check out (as long as it's a safe area) -- that should encourage them to hang around there.
We are planning to install a pond in that area sometime soon, so I expect that'll do the trick.

I wish my flock was better at foraging! Maybe I should cut back on their bagged feed and walk them out farther every day. They do have a nice pasture area in their yard to eat from, they just don't go out there.
I’m just seeing this and realize it’s a two year old conversation. Lol
But, I let my ducks out as soon as I can once the sun has come out (my work schedule permitting), then put them back in their pen around sunset (also work schedule permitting). I close their pen so they and the dog can’t get to their food pan. I give them a treat in the morning, then they have to forage all day if they get hungry. It also helps me to get them back in at night because they’re hungry.

Back
Top Bottom