Supplies to put in my coop!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by henmionegranger, Aug 3, 2016.

1. henmionegranger

henmionegranger Just Hatched

Aug 3, 2016
    Feeding chickens
    I need to know some things you all would recommend having in my coop and in a storage cabinet in my coop. It can be anything as far as medicines etc. I really want to be prepared for when I finally get some chickens! I feel the need to be prepared for anything that can possibly happen to them!

2. henmionegranger

Aug 3, 2016
    Feeding chickens
    Also this may seem like a silly question, but if I were to get some Dominique Bantams and some OEGB would I be able to keep them all together in one coop? Or would they need to be separated? And as far as roosters go I know that if they grow up together they should be fine (neighbor has bantams) but if I had a OEGB rooster would he be okay with mixed Dominique and OEGB hens?

3. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Corid, blu-kote, tylan, kwik-stop (styptic powder), disposable gloves, probiotic powder, sav-a-chick powder (and/or nutri-drench), safeguard (or some other type of wormer), and preparation h (for a prolapsed hen), neosporin. I'm sure others will come along with a more extensive list regarding the meds.

Edited to add:

You might also want to have some 1cc and 5cc syringes available...helps measuring dosages and sometimes you'll have to give meds with them.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. henmionegranger

Aug 3, 2016
    Feeding chickens
    Thank you!! :)

5. CluckTwice4Yes

CluckTwice4Yes Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2016
    Maine
    I've also read Vaseline is good to have in case of scaly leg mites.

6. burdboy

burdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    yes a rooster doesn't care what his hens look like he doesn't even really care what species I've had roosters mount my ducks

1 person likes this.
  7. CluckTwice4Yes

CluckTwice4Yes Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2016
    Maine
    Oh, and that it's good to keep a clean poultry crate (dog crate works too) at the ready in case you need to separate a sick or injured bird. Also clean towels to help securely pick up a bird in distress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by