Supplies to put in my coop!

henmionegranger

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2016
Feeding chickens
I need to know some things you all would recommend having in my coop and in a storage cabinet in my coop. It can be anything as far as medicines etc. I really want to be prepared for when I finally get some chickens! I feel the need to be prepared for anything that can possibly happen to them!

Also this may seem like a silly question, but if I were to get some Dominique Bantams and some OEGB would I be able to keep them all together in one coop? Or would they need to be separated? And as far as roosters go I know that if they grow up together they should be fine (neighbor has bantams) but if I had a OEGB rooster would he be okay with mixed Dominique and OEGB hens?

I need to know some things you all would recommend having in my coop and in a storage cabinet in my coop. It can be anything as far as medicines etc. I really want to be prepared for when I finally get some chickens! I feel the need to be prepared for anything that can possibly happen to them!

Corid, blu-kote, tylan, kwik-stop (styptic powder), disposable gloves, probiotic powder, sav-a-chick powder (and/or nutri-drench), safeguard (or some other type of wormer), and preparation h (for a prolapsed hen), neosporin. I'm sure others will come along with a more extensive list regarding the meds.

Edited to add:

You might also want to have some 1cc and 5cc syringes available...helps measuring dosages and sometimes you'll have to give meds with them.

Last edited:
Corid, blu-kote, tylan, kwik-stop (styptic powder), disposable gloves, probiotic powder, sav-a-chick powder (and/or nutri-drench), safeguard (or some other type of wormer), and preparation h (for a prolapsed hen).  I'm sure others will come along with a more extensive list regarding the meds.
Thank you!! :)

Also this may seem like a silly question, but if I were to get some Dominique Bantams and some OEGB would I be able to keep them all together in one coop? Or would they need to be separated? And as far as roosters go I know that if they grow up together they should be fine (neighbor has bantams) but if I had a OEGB rooster would he be okay with mixed Dominique and OEGB hens?
yes a rooster doesn't care what his hens look like he doesn't even really care what species I've had roosters mount my ducks

Oh, and that it's good to keep a clean poultry crate (dog crate works too) at the ready in case you need to separate a sick or injured bird. Also clean towels to help securely pick up a bird in distress.

Back
Top Bottom