Supporting snow in winter

Which is the best solution to supporting the snow?

• Current set up would support the snow weight if flat tarped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Idea of securing mega heavy duty tarp to garage and edge of run should work fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither is a good idea you need to go the hard route and better brace the actual structure.

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • There is an even easier way and I'll message you to explain.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
I think it looks great! I was definitely planning to cover the sides with plastic tarps as well (i really like the idea of getting a few of the disposable shower curtains at the 99 cent store because they are nice and thick but also very clear) Sounds like the consensus is "Stop being lazy, build a proper roof" i think deep down i knew this but was looking for someone to tell me there was an easier way lol! thanks!
I use the clear corregated panels from Lowes. $20 you can cut them with scissors, attach with screws and they last for YEARS. I am on winter 5 with mine.

Thanks everyone, I used the advice here plus some i found in other areas of the forum on coop design and came up with some modifications i believe will definitely hold the snow.
I have attached pictures below.
Bonus pictures of our 3-week old Easter Eggers as they were out enjoying the 70-74 degree weather yesterday. We decided after this to discontinue the heat lamp indoors.
20181002_165959 (1).jpg
20181002_170103.jpg
20181002_170109.jpg
20181002_170122.jpg
20181002_170245.jpg
20181002_170300.jpg

Attachments

• 20181002_165959.jpg
    20181002_165959.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 5
Welcome! Much better! I would also add more 2x4's vertically to the run, and consider 2"x4" woven wire over the lower four ft. of the run hardware cloth, for added predator protection. Do you have a hardware cloth apron, or something to keep out diggers?
And, in winter, you can staple sheet plastic to the lower 5' or 6' of the run for wind protection, and have them out in it all the time.
Nice build!
Mary

Welcome! Much better! I would also add more 2x4's vertically to the run, and consider 2"x4" woven wire over the lower four ft. of the run hardware cloth, for added predator protection. Do you have a hardware cloth apron, or something to keep out diggers?
And, in winter, you can staple sheet plastic to the lower 5' or 6' of the run for wind protection, and have them out in it all the time.
Nice build!
Mary
Yes, we have a 1.5ft apron off the run to prevent diggers it will eventually just be buried but right now it is covered with pavers until the pavers go into use elsewhere. I definitely plan to cover the sides with plastic in winter. But I am curious why the woven wire would be necessary in addition to the hardware cloth? I haven't heard of a coon getting thru hardware cloth that was properly secured...does this happen? I am in the city with a 6ft privacy fence so worst we really get are possum, raccoons, cats, skunks and rats.(occasionally a ground hog?) Stray dogs can't enter the yard and we don't have coyotes or foxes here.

Hello fellow Clevelander! This will be my first winter with chickens too. My roof looks like your finished product. Let's hope for a mild winter, no lake effect! Although I do think your design will hold the snow load. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom