Supportive care during molts?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by barbieszoo, Dec 6, 2010.

1. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    I couldn't find anything in the archives about this, although it's likely there somewhere.... I've read a lot about chickens getting sick/dying more frequently during molts. Is there anything that can be done/fed etc. to specifically support them during this stressful time?

2. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Some of my chickens are going through a molt right now. The best thing to do is make sure they have a low stressed environment. Putting more protein into their diet will help them as well, since most of the nutrients go into feather production. Lots of water is a must, and if they feel a bit down or lethargic, putting a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into a quart of water (not sure about precise amount of ACV, someone can most likely give you a better estimate). That will pick them up. Some calcium, if they are fully grown out, doesn't hurt either.

3. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I have read that Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS) is a great source of nutrience and protein that chickens need during a moult. I have been feeding my flock BOSS for a couple months now. And yes they can eat the whole seed, hull and all [​IMG] I will mix a little olive oil with some left-overs a few times a week to give them a little extra healthy fat too. My flock has been healthy and happy!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I feel molting is natural and I don't do anything different. If a chicken sickens or dies because they're molting, they're not stock I want to keep. I have a barred rock who is going through the most extreme molt I've seen in my years of chicken keeping. Literally most of her body was bare! She's been active throughout, I do notice she's really assertive about getting her share of any treats. Thankfully, she's now got some feathering on her body, at least enough to tell what color she is lol. I think if they have a good basic diet and are healthy to start with, they should do fine. If you have an unthrifty bird to start with, yeah, she may have problems with the molt. But as I said, is that really a bird you want to keep?

5. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Quote:This is true. And if a hen is unsuccessful with a molt and have numerous problems, those problems can be transmitted to her offspring. It doesn't hurt to give them help with there molt, but if they're downright miserable and problematic, it might be a good idea to consider culling.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I bump up their protein intake slightly, but that's it.

7. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    Quote:There is a molting photo contest going on in the "on-line poultry show" you may want to post to - some very pathetic molters! So sad and cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by