Suppose to be an Olive Egger But....

Flowerbh

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Dawsonville, GA
This little chick is about 4 weeks old. She is suppose to be a third generation Olive Egger. First Generation was BCM and EE. They took those chicks and breed it back with an unrelated BCM. Then I think they took those pullets and breed them back to another unrelated BCM. I want a chicken that lays an olive egg. Here's my problem. This chick looks like it has a single comb. I think to have an olive egg,, she would need to have a pea comb. What is your opinion?

Olivia in front. I will try to find a comb picture....

Nope, not a good shot. Anyway, sometimes it looks pea and sometimes single. Can anyone tell me if she would have to have the pea comb to have olive eggs?

Flowerbh

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Dawsonville, GA
So does that mean she will have brown eggs and not the olive colored ones? I got her strickly to get olive colored eggs. Would they be brown or kahki? I

goldfinches

Songster
May 6, 2011
Maryland
I have a bunch of maran ameraucana mix, (I think), olive eggers and they have single combs. Mine are only 3.5 weeks, though, and I'm having a time identifying a bunch of others with them.

Flowerbh

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Dawsonville, GA
I read somewhere that only the chicks with the pea comb will have green/blue eggs. It's on the gene. Anyway, that is why I am sad that my little olive egger looks like it has a single comb. I may be seeing it wrong...she is still small and sometimes I only see three ridges and sometimes I think it is 5 ridges.

Top Bottom