Suppose to be Delawares...but

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pinkchick, Apr 4, 2009.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    ok..bought these 5 little beauties 3-12 -09. They were 1.5 weeks old. Suppose to be Delawares but I have my suspisions, shouldn't they have some black coloring by now?
    Are they leghorns? They are extremely flightly no matter how much they are handled.

What do you all think?

[​IMG]

2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I don't think they are delawares, you are probably right about them being leghorns.

3. Bornacentury2L8

Bornacentury2L8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Cartersville, Ga.
    looks and sounds like leghorns. sorry.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Not delawares, I don't think they are leghorns either, I believe they would have a larger comb and are more slender.

Could they be white rocks? They appear to have white skin.

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    They look a lot like a couple of my Delaware X RSLs... How old are they? I could be wrong in my calculations, but if they were a week and half old just 3 weeks ago, they shouldn't be so well feathered out. My 5-6 week olds aren't nearly that well dressed. They look a little heavier than my Leghorns, but it could just be the way they're standing.

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I agree with CovenantCreek - they do look older than 1 month old.

I'm not sure what breed they are, but they look similar to my leghorns (7 weeks of age).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My leghorns have yellow legs -- I can't tell the color of your chicks in the photo. If your chicks are leghorns, the ones pictured are definitely females.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  7. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Thanks for the responses!
    I was thinking when I bought them that they were feathered out way more than week and a half.
    They do have nice golden yellow legs and one is definately a roo, his comb is bigger and deep pink and he has bigger wattles and they are very red.
    They really are a very slender bird. I sold 3 of them yesterday because I just didn't want anymore leghorns. They are just to flightly for my coop. The one that is in my laying flock just causes an uproar everytime someone goes into the coop.
    I have to admit that they do lay wonderfully and nice big eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by