Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
A couple weeks ago I picked up 4 new chicks, 3 BR and 1 EE. Well, one of my "BR" has pink legs!! Other than that, and the fact that she is super friendly, she looks just like the other 2 BR. So my question is, do Cuckoo Marans have pink legs with a little bit of gray on the front? The pics I saw on Feathersite look that way to me. Or is Clover a BR with discolored legs??

I'm going out to get a couple pics for you guys to see.

Last edited:
Pictures!

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

And one of the BR's legs for color comparison
IMG_0320.jpg

So waddya think???

Do you know where they came from? If from a hatchery, probly a BR. Does it have a single comb? kind of looks like it has a rose comb, then it would be a Dominique (or Dominiker down here)
Looks like the one in front might be a roo by the color of its wattles, how old?

Last edited:
They all came from a local farmer's market -- I have no idea if they order from a hatchery or do their own.

Nope, it's a single comb. I checked that out, so she's not a Dom.

Haha... Yeah I know... I've been watching them. I think they are almost 6 weeks old. But I'm not 100% sure if the date on the cage was July 23 or not. The combs are still yellow though. I'm really hoping....
fl.gif

I'm no expert, but judging from my own barred rocks and cuckoo maran, I vote that they are both barred rock roos. The coloring seems lighter to me in the pictures than my hens, but just like my roos were, plus the curly tail on the second one looks roo-ish. I'm afraid that's what I'd bet my plugged nickel on. Sorry, hope I'm wrong and they're both 2 nice BR pullets for you.

How soon should I look for white earlobes then? (In the possibility that she is a CG.) I looked this morning and got all freaking excited because they looked white, but then I looked at the other chicks' and they were whitish too.
hide.gif
Is 6 weeks too early?

I've looked around on the internet and found some pictures of Cuckoo Marans cockerels at 5 weeks and their combs and wattles were huge and red. I'm going to keep up my hopes that I have 3 pullets, since mine are still small and yellow.

Monkeemakr, her tail isn't actually curly. It's just a bit crooked.
tongue.png
In my last batch of chicks one of my pullets had a tail like that before any of the boys got a quarter inch, while my other pullet's tail grew the same rate as the boys'.

Yeah, me too! If they do end up being CG, and lay white eggs... I probably should get a CG rooster since they're so endangered...

Back
Top Bottom