Supposed to be brown leghorns but I'm not so sure they are.

Yes, those are definitely not Brown Leghorns. The four girls are Red Sexlinks (aka Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, Red Star, Golden Sexlink, ISA Brown, etc.) and the roosters are Rhode Island Reds/Production Reds.

So will chicks hatched from these guys be red sex links as well?

A Sexlink is a F1 hybrid, in your girls' case, likely a Rhode Island Red rooster crossed with a Rhode Island White hen. This makes red hens and white roosters, which are sexable by color at hatch. They are excellent brown egg layers. This is the #1 "breed" used commercialy for brown egg production. However like Speckledhen said, this cross does not breed true. You'll get excellent brown egg laying birds, but they will no longer be considered a Red Sexlink and the chicks will not be sexable by color at hatch.

Thanks for the link and responses, very helpful
smile.png
. So as i understand it if i where to get a Rhode Island White or a Delaware hen I could produce red sex-links? and black sex-links if i got a barred rock hen?

Thanks for the link and responses, very helpful
smile.png
. So as i understand it if i where to get a Rhode Island White or a Delaware hen I could produce red sex-links? and black sex-links if i got a barred rock hen?
Yes, if you crossed a Dellie hen or a BR hen with your RIR roosters, you could make your own sex links. In fact, you can make sex links with almost any rooster over a Barred Rock or Dominique or Cuckoo Marans hen. I've had Black Sex Links with Silver Phoenix rooster, Silkie/Cochin cross rooster and an EE rooster over Barred Rock hens. Barred hens pass their barring genes only to their sons, not daughters, which is the reason.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link and responses, very helpful :)   . So as i understand it if i where to get a Rhode Island White or a Delaware hen I could produce red sex-links? and black sex-links if i got a barred rock hen?

Yes. A Rhode Island Red rooster will make Red Sexlinks when bred to Rhode Island White, Delaware, Silver Laced Wyandotte, or almost anything else that's genetically silver. And he'll make Black Sexlinks when bred to a Barred Rock, Cuckoo Marans, Dominique, Barred Holland, California Grey, or any other barred or cuckoo breed.

BrownLeghorn.jpg

This is a Brown Leghorn. Seems to me hatcheries are a crap shoot. My first bunch where from Ideal and while not the best examples they were true.

I always recommend some research before ordering chicks. Like dogs some breeds may not be a good fit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom