Supposed to be pullets...but maybe not?

NicChick

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
We have 22 chicks, 17 of which we mail ordered and they were part of a "Brown Egg Laying Hatchery Choice Assortment" and supposed to be all pullets...but they are 6 weeks old now and I've noticed several of them have more prominent combs- bigger & redder, even within the different breeds. Is it possible that they develop at different paces, or am I probably looking at several roosters? I don't WANT roosters, and paid for sexed chicks- I realize there's a margin of error when sexing them, but this seems to be too big of a margin! There are at least 5/17 that I am suspicious of...

chicchic25

Chirping
Mar 30, 2015
Indiana
We have 22 chicks, 17 of which we mail ordered and they were part of a "Brown Egg Laying Hatchery Choice Assortment" and supposed to be all pullets...but they are 6 weeks old now and I've noticed several of them have more prominent combs- bigger & redder, even within the different breeds. Is it possible that they develop at different paces, or am I probably looking at several roosters? I don't WANT roosters, and paid for sexed chicks- I realize there's a margin of error when sexing them, but this seems to be too big of a margin! There are at least 5/17 that I am suspicious of...
Hi NicChick-- do you have any pictures of your chicks in question? I can't help you, I'm too new to chickens but if you could post pics and put it under the forum "Chicken Breeds-- What breed or gender is this?" that's what I did and I'm sure you'll get lots of help.
Best of luck to you!

RM44

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Woodstock, Georgia
They do, within reason, sometimes develop at different paces. However, I have seen that most hatcheries do have an "oops" or two when trying to sex pullets. I got a few roosters both times that I ordered from a hatchery.

junebuggena

Crowing
Apr 17, 2015
Long Beach, WA
If you ordered 17 sexed pullets and received 22 chicks, some of those are 'packing peanuts' (males they pack in for extra warmth). Then factoring in a 10 percent error rate in sexing, it would not be uncommon for you to have around 6 or 7 cockerels in the bunch.

rides2far

Songster
5 Years
Dec 9, 2014
Bakersfield California
When I ordered from Ideal, I specified no packing peanuts, so I received no extra chicks. I did have to pay extra, only a couple of dollars. My order was 100% pullets, so I'm a happy camper. As suggested, take pics of suspect Roos & put on What Breed/Gender Forum.

Top Bottom