Supposedly red golden chicks, possibly one male and female, but not sure.

chickoletta5

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2015
Washington state
Hello I recently bought two golden red Pheasant chicks. When I went to pick them up I saw the breeder had two males, one a red golden, the other a yellow golden, and one hen also a yellow golden all in the same pen. So it is my understanding that yellow golden is a mutation of red golden, correct? So my chicks will be red golden in coloring? Also I'm pretty positive the one is a male, he has blue eyes, the other I'm not so sure about. Thoughts? Thank you.

Attachments

• 20180814_103918.jpg
    20180814_103918.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20180814_104014.jpg
    20180814_104014.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 30
Yes, you have a pair of red goldens. Although I can't see the other birds head in this pic, I can see her legs...nice olive color.
The other is definitely a male.

There is a possibility that you could have a cross bred pair, considering the parent birds were/ are being run together.
Take some more pics of both and include the head in profile shot and their legs.
From what I can see in the pics they are red golden but better pics will help confirm.

Thank you Sean. Are these better? I can get more if need be. I picked them up just the other day and they aren't too keen on holding still for my photos.

Attachments

• 20180814_144015.jpg
    20180814_144015.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180814_144021.jpg
    20180814_144021.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 28
Hey chickoletta5, thanks for the extra pics.
Yep, they are RG's. And you have a pair.
You might want to look around and see if you can find some from another breeder, ...I am assuming their brother and sister, so would be better to get some that are not related if you plan on breeding!

I don't know how big your enclosure is...but if I were you, I would try to find a couple of hens that aren't related to add to your pair. HTH

Great thank you. They are currently in an extra large dog kennel while we finish the pheasant aviary. Basically a long structure with pens separated by hardware cloth. I'd eventually like to add lady Amherst and grey peacock pheasants. I'll put them in different pens and keep my eyes open for another pair. Seem to be hard to find right now here in western Washington. Thanks for all your help.

Or Jeff Berger in Spokane.James Farr in Monroe.Grey peacock pheasants need time to climatize,so if your plan is to get them,I would do it quickly or wait until next spring.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thank you both for your help. I just wanted to update that i have since finished the pheasant aviary, replaced my red golden hen with two others unrelated to my male. Added a pair of lady Amherst, still searching for more Amherst hens, and just today a pair of grey peacock pheasants. All birds have come from Ken Kroener in Bend Oregon. Really happy with everyone and can't wait to see them all mature.

Thank you both for your help. I just wanted to update that i have since finished the pheasant aviary, replaced my red golden hen with two others unrelated to my male. Added a pair of lady Amherst, still searching for more Amherst hens, and just today a pair of grey peacock pheasants. All birds have come from Ken Kroener in Bend Oregon. Really happy with everyone and can't wait to see them all mature.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like your well on your way to establishing good stock. Best of luck with your pheasant adventures.

Back
Top Bottom