Suppressive implant for the extra roosters - will it change pecking order?

Dudu

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Ħal Luqa, Malta
Dear All,

We, as many chicken people, are ending up with many young roosters which pester our hens. There don't seem to be fights among the roosters so much as the fact that they are clearly overmating the hens as many of them are very young 'teenage' roos.

Apart from trying to rehome some of them (which is not very easy because I DEFINITELY cannot let them go anywhere to be eaten or fought), I was wondering if the Suprelorin implant would work for this problem. However, would it change the pecking order drastically if the young roosters became sterile? I wouldn't want to cause them being bullied.

Has anyone tried out this? How did it work? What happened within your flock and how did the birds feel physically?

Oh man I’m eager to hear about your results. I’m not worried about fighting or over mating as much right now as I’m worried about the noise.
We had good results with the younger rooster. The older one didn’t seem to be affected. It changed his aggression and aggressive mating behavior. It didn’t affect his crowing. The younger the better. I wish we had done it right after his first crow.

We had good results with the younger rooster. The older one didn’t seem to be affected. It changed his aggression and aggressive mating behavior. It didn’t affect his crowing. The younger the better. I wish we had done it right after his first crow.

Hm. Now to go about figuring out how to find someone in my area that will do them.

Back
Top Bottom