surplus of eggs

southernsibe

Songster
12 Years
Jun 15, 2007
kensington, maryland
Does anyone have any ideas for or ways to store surplus eggs? We have had a very good month, but we can only eat so many eggs at a time. Pretty much every one around us has chickens so no one is interested in getting eggs. I appreciate any ideas.
Thank you
Rachel

Take an ice cube tray and crack an egg into each cube section. Freeze. Pop them out and put them in a ziplock bag and put them back in the freezer. When you need eggs for baking and cooking take out the cube eggs and let them thaw and use them. The texture changes a little bit in the freezing so they aren't the best for scrambled or fried eggs but they work perfectly in your cooking and baking needs.

You could also try some recipes that require large amounts of eggs if you haven't already. The old fashion pound cake int he recipe sectio uses 10 eggs and boy, oh, boy, is it ever a good recipe. You can even freeze the cake and use it at another time when you don't really have time to bake. there is a good angel food cake as well.

You could also try a stratta recipe. Bread, sausage, spinach, mushrooms, herbs and spices with beaten eggs poured over and allowed to sit in a refrigerator overnight then baked for a really good supper or made with salsa and crumbled sausage and cheese for a mexican type breakfast. Those types of recipes use a lot of eggs.

I also have an egg bread recipe I can post that makes an incredibly good bread and uses up a good bit of eggs. This bread will freeze in the dough stage and you can thaw and bake or make smaller rolls and bake as needed.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom