surprise chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lil lulu, Aug 4, 2016.

1. lil lulu

lil lulu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2016
    They thought they were hatching guineas but ended up with some chicks in the mix. I ended up with all of them including the 3 chicks. One I am fairly certain is a black maran (not sure on that spelling) because I am familiar with the flock they came from. One of them I am told may be an araucana and we have no clue on the other. Does anyone have any guesses on what I have?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. lil lulu

Apr 22, 2016
    Idk if you can see it but this is the one we think is araucana because she has little puffs on the side of her head.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. missflock

missflock Just Hatched

I'll be the first to say I'm not that good at telling when they are that young...but the second set of pictures looks just like our EE's did when they were that tiny.

Pretty chicks you acquired!

4. lil lulu

Apr 22, 2016
    This is our big mystery. It looks a lot like my speckled sussex chicks did but he doesn't have any of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. lil lulu

Apr 22, 2016

I'm excited! I wasn't planningon keeping them but they are too pretty. I'm just going to have to place the guineas somewhere else. I wasn't sure if I wanted to mix them or not in the coop and that just gave me my answer.

6. AshlyMommaWard

AshlyMommaWard Chillin' With My Peeps

Both of the wild type (striped down back) chicks can be Ameracauna, or Easter eggers (much more common and come with more color variation)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think Easter Eggers also.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    EE

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Knowing what breeds were in the flock, and genders of those breeds, would sure help a lot.....

10. lil lulu

Apr 22, 2016
    He has black maran, araucana, easter eggers, silver laced wyandotte, orpington, barred plymouth rock, and 1 or 2 more that I can't think of. I have no clue what kind of roosters he has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by