Surprise Duckling Shipment Mid-Winter

Pics
Yes please don’t use cracked corn as main feed Pekins really need a good balanced diet or your going to see leg problems all flock can be fed to all your ducks even your ducklings then once they go to laying you just put out a bowl of oyster shell. Make sure to buy crumbles since ducklings can’t eat pellets right off.
@Miss Lydia I’m so glad you chimed in...she is the expert!!

Thanks for the heads up on the lacking diet I was feeding my birds. Just went to TSC and picked up a 40lb bag of all flock 20% protein pellets that will go into use tomorrow. @Kiki I removed the second heat lamp (before their arrival) after others brought up the same point, but much appreciated nonetheless!
Fabulous!
Your ducks will live longer because they will be healthier with this balanced complete feed.
Throw the corn away.

Thanks for the heads up on the lacking diet I was feeding my birds. Just went to TSC and picked up a 40lb bag of all flock 20% protein pellets that will go into use tomorrow. @Kiki I removed the second heat lamp (before their arrival) after others brought up the same point, but much appreciated nonetheless!
:thumbsup

I just took a look at the Purina duck feed and it appears to be quite a bit more expensive (5x) than my current feed setup. We do mainly cracked corn with on and off duck pellets and the occasional meal worm treat. My ducks do not free range (since Hawk took one a month ago). I was doing some calculations based on numbers I found (.3lb for a smaller bird and .6 for a larger bird). I think I’ll be going through about 2/3 pounds a day. Should I consider moving away from cracked corn for my drakes, or is an improved feed more important for a laying flock?

One perk of the cheap corn I’m using is I frequently throw extra corn on the ground around the yard. When I come out in the morning I love how the yard is alive with plenty of wild birds enjoying the free meal.
If you have crows that corn will be handy. Crows will chase off hawks. They dived one that had rolled my duck and saved her. I used to hate crows, now I try to attract them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom