Surprise ducks - help

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
I love my grandpa, I really do. But man. I am screaming inside right now.

My grandad was over for a visit earlier this week. He left yesterday. I got home from thanksgiving at my other grandparent's house and found something open on the office desktop. An order confirmation for a variety pack of 10 unsexed ducks and a bag of duck crumble. The order is dated the 22nd and says it'll ship out sometime in the next 7 days from that date. The payment info is all my granddad's, but the shipping info is for my house.
Apparently, no one in my household was told about this either but had heard he thought I might like ducks for Christmas.
I'm going to love them when they get here but right now I am stressing. So I've come here for help.

Clear issues;
It is late November and I live in Maine. There's not a lot, but there is some snow on the ground and it gets cold. 10 birds seem like so few, and these conditions make me fear the worst for the little guys.

I have never owned ducks before. Chickens, plenty. But ducks? I know they're messier than chickens and prone to broken legs. I know they can't swim until they're older and have water-proofing oil on their feathers. I know my store always puts nuts and bolts in the waterers for them, but not actually the reason why.

My post office is terrible and needs to stop. We have had issues with them in the past where they don't call and just put the birds on the truck for delivery. I'm going to call them on Monday to try and convince them not to, but man- they are a disaster to work with.

Other members of my household are going to be in Florida next week. It'll just be me from Sunday to Saturday. This includes the person whose name and phone number will actually going to be on the box.

Lesser issues;
Housing; I'm probably going to bring in my brooder hutch and set them up in there for the first few weeks. Then when they're bigger move them out into the workshop until spring. I have some coops my current birds aren't using, fixing one of those up for them shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just, probably not in the middle of winter.

So these birds are coming. Help me prepare for them?

My grandad was over for a visit earlier this week. He left yesterday. I got home from thanksgiving at my other grandparent's house and found something open on the office desktop. An order confirmation for a variety pack of 10 unsexed ducks and a bag of duck crumble. The order is dated the 22nd and says it'll ship out sometime in the next 7 days from that date. The payment info is all my granddad's, but the shipping info is for my house.
Apparently, no one in my household was told about this either but had heard he thought I might like ducks for Christmas.
I'm going to love them when they get here but right now I am stressing. So I've come here for help.

Clear issues;
It is late November and I live in Maine. There's not a lot, but there is some snow on the ground and it gets cold. 10 birds seem like so few, and these conditions make me fear the worst for the little guys.

I have never owned ducks before. Chickens, plenty. But ducks? I know they're messier than chickens and prone to broken legs. I know they can't swim until they're older and have water-proofing oil on their feathers. I know my store always puts nuts and bolts in the waterers for them, but not actually the reason why.

My post office is terrible and needs to stop. We have had issues with them in the past where they don't call and just put the birds on the truck for delivery. I'm going to call them on Monday to try and convince them not to, but man- they are a disaster to work with.

Other members of my household are going to be in Florida next week. It'll just be me from Sunday to Saturday. This includes the person whose name and phone number will actually going to be on the box.

Lesser issues;
Housing; I'm probably going to bring in my brooder hutch and set them up in there for the first few weeks. Then when they're bigger move them out into the workshop until spring. I have some coops my current birds aren't using, fixing one of those up for them shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just, probably not in the middle of winter.

You can cancel the order, if you're that worried and unprepared.

They're not THAT much different than chickens, but they are messier and grow much faster. They double in size within 2 weeks. They are very stinky indoors because thet make a mess of their water. They must have water any time they have feed because they do not have salivary glands. They go from their food to their water and make a big soupy mess of everything. The water must be deep enough for them to get their heads underwater in order to keep their nares and eyes clear. They need heat, too, just as chicks do.

I suggest brooding in a kiddie pool, if possible, since you are expecting 10. I was changing their brooder out 2-3× a day because of the smell. That's not an exaggeration.

All that nastiness aside, ducks are amazing little bundles of personality, and you will fall in love with them.

Last edited:

Clear issues;

Lesser issues;

They will need a water bowl to wash their face and nose. You will likely need to clean their brooder a lot because they make a mess. They need heat especially since it will be winter time. But ducklings are wonderful and lovely. I wish you luck with them.

Thank you
I'll try contacting the hatchery, it was done through tractor supply's website and hoover hatchery. Given it's Thanksgiving day weekend, I'm not sure how much luck I'll have before Monday, and Monday through Wednesday is when it says to expect them to ship out.

I may try the kiddie pool method. I usually go with something else due to the chicks learning to fly so quickly and not wanting the cats to have access. Maybe if I set it up in the garage away from the cats?

I was going to use my brooder plates for their heat.

So water needs are new. Most times it's 'shallow enough that can't down' so 'deep enough to dunk their head in' is a switch. I gotta work tomorrow, I'll see if I can find a suitable bowl for them there.

I was honestly delighted at the idea of ducks when I first saw the purchase there. But realizing that /no one/ had actually planned or prepared for this made it feel much more stressful. So going to be cramming some duck care research over the weekend to prepare.

The duck crumble gets here tomorrow. Should they start on that or a chick starter? I have chick crumble already (late hatching broody's) and that's usually what they give at the store.

Thank you
I'll try contacting the hatchery, it was done through tractor supply's website and hoover hatchery. Given it's Thanksgiving day weekend, I'm not sure how much luck I'll have before Monday, and Monday through Wednesday is when it says to expect them to ship out.

I may try the kiddie pool method. I usually go with something else due to the chicks learning to fly so quickly and not wanting the cats to have access. Maybe if I set it up in the garage away from the cats?

So water needs are new. Most times it's 'shallow enough that can't down' so 'deep enough to dunk their head in' is a switch. I gotta work tomorrow, I'll see if I can find a suitable bowl for them there.

I was honestly delighted at the idea of ducks when I first saw the purchase there. But realizing that /no one/ had actually planned or prepared for this made it feel much more stressful. So going to be cramming some duck care research over the weekend to prepare.

The duck crumble gets here tomorrow. Should they start on that or a chick starter? I have chick crumble already (late hatching broody's) and that's usually what they give at the store.
Duck food is better. Ducklings need more niacin than chicks. Niacin deficiency is what leads to leg issues. Duck feed should have enough. If you go the chick feed route, do unmedicated and add nutritional yeast as a topper.

The brooder plates will work great!

My favorite waterer for baby ducks is a bowl with a large hole cut in the lid. For 10, you might do more than one or maybe a bucket with holes cut in the side. I always put my waterer on a baking pan with a cooling rack in it to try and catch some of the slop. Kinda like this (not mine - pic found on google):
chick-housing-system-7.jpg

Nice thing about the kiddie pool is that they can swim in it when they're older. I always allow mine to wade in warm water starting at day one. Others don't give them water to play in until they're older. Your choice. I just put mine in my bathtub, but I've never brooded more than 4 at once - lol! I dried them off and put them in a clean, warm brooder because they can get chilled before they have feathers. Here are my first 4 in a shallow pan of warm water in my bathtub:

We also live in a cooler climate and when we have hatched incubated eggs we have typically started the ducklings in a plastic storage container (we have a 120L container with the top cut out replaced with wire - we also use it to transport the ducks to the vet if needed when they are older). We use a puppy pad on the bottom, wrap a hot water bottle in a towel at night time. If possible we have always fed duck or game food (starter for the ducklings). We haven't ever had chickens but according to others we know, ducks are way more independent much younger than chicks. At a week old ours are mostly eating and drinking independently.

They are messy and grow quickly, but they all have such great personalities

Start ducklings with the same heat as chicks, but they will not need as much heat as chicks as they grow. I feed my ducklings Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles. It has a high enough niacin content for most ducklings. (I also feed this to my chickens when I have chicks with broodies). It sounds like your well set for chickens, so you will be fine with ducks now or in the spring. Just a bit messier and deeper waterer. You can wait a bit on the deeper waterer as they can dip nares in a chick waterer at first.

What kind of ducks did he order?
I don't know where you heard that ducks are more prone to broken legs. The pekin breed is often used for meat due to how big and heavy they get, is prone to leg issues and bumblefoot because they're so heavy.
Ducks in general need more niacin than chickens and that can lead to leg issues like lameness limping, et cetera, but not broken legs unless there's trauma. I use nutritional yeast flakes added to their food to provide extra niacin.
Sorry you're stressing so much. It's a sweet gesture on his part, but not well thought out.

Thank you

Well, I ordered ten chickens from TSC last year, and they shipped out pretty quick ! We ordered them on the 29th of August, and they came on the 2nd of September. You will expect them any day!

Back
Top Bottom