Surprise dust baths!

Ravishaw

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
I have 12 chickens growing between chicks and chickens. Sunday was a warm day here in AZ, as summers usually are, and I wanted to do something to help cool them off. I didn't want to spray them with water because birds don't usually appreciate that. I'd been sitting in the coop with them for about half an hour, long enough for them to scratch my shins trying to run up and slide down my legs. Several had set on my legs for a while, and it was a pretty tranquil moment. I got up, thanking the chickens for their company, turned on the hose and hosed off the corner of their run with water.

When I turned it off the birds ran over (did not hesitate) and plopped on their sides. I stood mesmerized as they dug little holes, rolled in it, ruffled their feathers, rolled more... The ones running in behind the first would gladly take facefuls of wet sand. Several of my fatty americaunas sprayed sand over several other chickens.... nobody cared. They closed their eyes and just rolled and rolled, dug and rolled, dug and rolled. It was very theraputic to watch them relax so thoroughly. I'll have to do that again sometime. It's so fun to watch.

Last edited:
Around here we call that PUDDLE TIME!!!!
gig.gif
They absolutely love it! Especially on a hot summer day. I'll usually leave a hose dribbling for my chooks when it gets really hot. They'll spend hours just stomping around in the puddle like little kids. I still don't know what the heck they find to eat in those puddles, but their heads are almost always down and furiously gobbling up whatever it is they do find! Silly birds!
lol.png

We have really sandy soil here and very high temperatures during the summer (over 100 for several months) so I wet down the run every day and the chickens love to play in the wet sand! They come running when they see me with the hose and run back and forth under the water like kids playing in the sprinkler!
wee.gif

barnie.gif
Am I the only one who has chickens that love to play in the water? Y'all have to ignore that old saying of "Madder than a wet hen"! Ask yourself why the hen is wet and mad in the first place. It's probably because my husband just threw a bucket of water on her!.....for getting up on the porch....for the tenth time.....in the last hour!!
lau.gif

No kiddies! Chickens actually LOVE puddles and standing water. I go to great pains to make sure that my flock always has fresh water in nice clean dispensers all of the time. And where do they want to drink from most often? The PUDDLES!!!
he.gif
roll.png
Silly birds!
idunno.gif

Haha.. too funny.

Mine don't freerange, they're a little on the youngin side to go out in our yard just yet, and I'm afraid of a gopher swalling one whole (j/k).

Back
Top Bottom