Surprise eggs! (But from who???)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by savannahchickmom, Sep 23, 2010.

1. savannahchickmom

savannahchickmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Savannah, Missouri
    I took on 10 banty chickens from a gentleman who said that hawks were carrying off the little ones in his flock. We already have 2 silkies, 1 BO, 1 EE & 1 G Seabright. Of the new bunch, there are 6 silkies that are supposed to be approx 4 months old, 3 cochins that are younger, and a mille fleur d'uccle - age unknown. The silkies are roughly half the size of my hen, Lizzie. We went to the barn on day 4 of the new chickens' stay, and discovered 3 tiny eggs. They look exactly like Lizzie's eggs. The same pearly creamy (almost pink) color and size. I took a pic of the 3 we found, and then placed some of the older chickens eggs beside them to compare. The d'uccle is probably old enough to lay, but these eggs all 3 appeared overnight - literally within a few hours. I was checking my quarantened bunch - even periodically overnight - to make sure everything was good. I doubt that one tiny girl could lay 3 in a few hours. The silkies are tiny & the cochins are even tinier. Any ideas? I wish Lizzie would decide to go broody & I would try to hatch these mystery eggs - even with cold weather coming on!! They would be fine in the barn. Any input?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    You have a silky do any of the new 1s look ready to lay. Check their vent must be a slight difference in a new layer and none layer

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Tuesday is talking about the bones UNDER the vent. The spread of the pelvic bones will give you an idea of who is and who is not laying. Pick them off the roost at night and place your fingertips between the bones. The ones with the wider spacing are your layers. Have fun........Pop

4. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    they are probably silkie eggs. 4 months is not too young but 3 is.. also my cochins all hatched from a creamy beige-white colored egg. I have silkie eggs in my incubator now and they are pinkish. so IMO it was the silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by