Surprise in the nest today!!

JoyBelle

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
We have several broody hens who have been sitting for MONTHS with no results. Today when collecting eggs, I discovered a chick!!!! It was in the next door nesting box, cold and barely moving. I took it and put it in a box with a heat lamp, gave it water (with a dropper) but don't know what to do about food.

The mama is sitting on about a doz eggs. One other chick was hatched and squashed
sad.png
and when she got back on to sit, she squashed another egg which had a developing chick in it. I have a sense that the eggs mama is sitting on are a collection of eggs with varying hatch dates.

What do I do with this situation? I can hear peeping coming from at least one other egg. Do I candle them and weed out the no go`s? Do I stick this live one back under mama? I'm afraid it will get squashed. What do I feed this little guy, or does mama do that?

Thanks & Blessings, Newbie

I don't think I would put it back under the hen. Especially if she has already stepped on one. I would put it in a box with a heat lamp 95 degrees. It can go a couple of days without food. Just get some chick starter to feed it and water. Also, the next one that hatches, I would take it out and put it in with the first one so it doesn't get lonely. Good luck with the rest.
thumbsup.gif

Arghhh! She has squashed two more little guys!
sad.png
sad.png
Don't these hens know how to sit on their eggs w/o squashing them???

Should I take the eggs out and finish them in the incubator and then stick them back under her? If I do that, should I put the one the already hatched one I have in the kitchen back under her or wait until they are all hatchted to do that?

Thanks & Blessings, Joy

Back
Top Bottom