Surprise Rooster

Penpike

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 4, 2012
Hi everyone!
This morning my family discovered that our hen is actually a rooster. We have 3 chickens that are probably around 4 months old. We have talked to the people who sold us the chickens and they informed us that as long as our neighbors don't mind the rooster, and no-one complains, then we can keep him. Our closest neighbor is fine with it as long as it can stay quiet until 7 o'clock in the morning. Because we just heard our rooster crow twice, we don't know how early he will start crowing but we've heard that they start as soon as they can see light. If roosters crow because they are excited because of the light, would it be possible to put a small curtain over the coop window until we let them out in the morning and would that help? Also, we are really worried now that our other chicken might turn out as a rooster, a cuckoo maran, who is very large, has a large crest, and tail feathers are slightly pointed and reaching upward- any thoughts about that? Thank you!

Last edited:
Can you post pics? I don't know about anyone else but, my roos crow all night long. We live in the middle of the country so I don't think that light is a factor...I think they just like to hear themselves talk. Maybe you will get lucky and yours won't crow so much. Also, you can insulate your coop and that will keep the noise level down, also.

Here are 2 pictures of my cuckoo maran, sorry that the pictures are so big! Her tail feathers are kinda down right now, but sometimes she likes to point them up.

Back
Top Bottom