Surprise!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by corporatecowgirl, Jul 24, 2010.

1. corporatecowgirl

corporatecowgirl New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    I got up this morning and one of my barred rocks had 4 chicks. One is solid black the other 3 yellow. I am guessing a mix of her and my RIR. She got the nest past me and hatched her own little flock. This morning out my window I see the little peeps running around. My chickens for the most part are free range, she was in the pen in the food bowl and the little ones were having their first experience outside. I seperated her from the rest of the flock with the chicks and they seem to be doing fine. Fortunately I had an extra coop and fenced area for them. They active eating and drinking. I don't even know how old the chicks are. I did see her in the coop corner the day before acting strange but later she was fine. I now know she was on the chicks. How old would you guess they are. A day? This is my first experience with hatching my own chicks. Of couse I have to go get some chick feed. The weather is very warm so I left them with her outside in her private coop and pen and they are all doing fine. It was really a wonderful but unexpected surprise!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. CanadianCrower

CanadianCrower Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    That's a great surprise! I have Brown Leghorn sitting on a dozen eggs. The should hatch about August 5 and I can't wait!!

Congratulations!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by