Survey of Hatchery Shipping Containers

howtogrowanegg

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Vermont
Hi All,

I have some concerns with our very first order of chicks last week. (They shipped on Monday and I got them Tuesday so shipping time does not seem like an issue.)

Our shipping container was upside down at some point during the trip because there was alot of poop on the lid. I think the chicks were extra stressed. Out of 22 chicks (half Australorps and half Easter Eggers (Arucana)) we have now lost 10 (mostly the . 7 within the first 48 hours. I have been refunded for 6, but the total loss is just unbearable. Temp in the brooder has been 95 degrees.

I am curious ... do hatcheries use the same type of shipping containers?

If so, should or do hatcheries put "Live Animals" or "Live Chicks" on their containers? Do hatcheries put "This Side Up" on the lids?

My shipping container had neither. I didn't purchase from a no name hatchery, but for the sake of these questions I'll keep the hatchery anonymous.

I'm thinking our shipping container on it's top was the fault of USPS, but I'm wondering if my hatchery could have done more to help prevent this really unfortunate experience.

I look forward to your responses.

Scott

I have delived many chicks to the post office for delivy all over the US and have seen that happen.. We at Townline Hatchery don't use the 25 chick size because the tip over to easy. We use the 50 chick size and only use one side if the order is for 25 chicks.

I've ordered from both MMM and Meyer, and each were clearly labeled "live chicks" with ventilation holes in the lid.

I don't know if it would have anything to do with 25 chick size vs. 50 chick size, because I always order more than 25 chicks so I've never seen the smaller sized box.

I would put the blame on USPS since I've never seen a hatchery put the postage and shipping labels on the underside of a box.
idunno.gif

I received my 30 chicks from Cackle and it had nothing on the sides or lids beside my receipt and address. There wasnt even a phone number showing to call my when i was at the post office. everyone arrived alive and was delivered to my door. you would think that the PO's across the country could hear peeping.

OMg let me tell you. I ordered from "a hatchery" a few weeks ago and I was VERY disappointed! The box was nearly CRUSHED on top and only one restraint was holding the top to the bottom of the box. It looked as if everyone whose hands had touched it took a peek in both ends of the box!! OMG!!! Only 4 of the 28 chicks lived. Most just dropped dead no matter how much I tried to save them. And there was no label of "Live Chicks" or "Fragile" anywhere on the box.

I called them immediately and I got an entirely new order of chicks the following week. I told them how I was disappointed about the box not having ANY written information on it besides my address and they just said they'd have to talk to someone about it. The next order of chicks they sent me still did not have anything written on it . . . and I only lost 5 from that 28.

But I am not ordering from that hatchery again.

Now, I have ordered from Cackle in the past and I am very pleased with their service. I can't remember if anything was written on the box or not, but the packaging was secure and all the chicks lived and stayed healthy. I think I'm going to continue to order from them, they seem to be the most reliable. ^_^ And their chicks are very hardy and friendly, even the Old English, who ALWAYS seem to be mean. lol

Last edited:
LadyShred, Wow ... very sorry to hear about your experiences.

Just this morning I mailed a letter to the owner of the hatchery I ordered from requesting him to consider using shipping containers that are clearly marked. I tried to be as polite as I could and I even noted that I realize the ultimate responsibility of the transportation is on the USPS, but I'm thinking that common sense seems to fail when the containers are not marked appropriately.

I wonder if he'll care enough to respond. His hatchery apparently hatches over 4 million chicks a season. So me losing 10 is less than a dust speck out of 4 million.

I'm thinking about writing a letter to my local post master, but not sure what good that will do.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom