survival rate of shipments...

That is sadly the only option. They are the only ones that can legally ship life poultry. Places like FedEx, UPS, etc. will not even take them in their SmartPost option where they move the package from the shipper to the nearest post office and then release it to the USPS for delivery.
Actually this is what happens when you ship juveniles and adults, or a private seller ships chicks. Drop off the box at USPS then FedEx or another carrier picks them up at the sorting facility and delivers them to the destination sorting facility. That causes issues too. USPS can't track them while FedEx has them. The box gets bumped for dry ice, doesn't arrive on time, and you have no idea where the birds are. In some parts of the country sellers have to call before shipping to make sure FedEx has a dry ice free flight available.

Hi There,
They are finally here! I placed an order for 15 Light Brahma chicks from Lancaster Fancy Fowl. Unfortunately, I only have 8 live chicks. I know it's their policy to replace the loss so, I'm still working on that. I'm just wondering if this is somewhat typical as far a loss goes or is it above average loss? Until now, I've only ever gotten chicks from our Agway. The last time I ordered from them, when I went to pick up my chicks, they were short on Buff Orpingtons due to death so they replaced it with my silver laced wyandotte.

Anyway, just wondering what your shipment losses have been like.
Thanks.
Carrie

I've been ordering chicks through the mail for nearly 40 years and very seldom have a problem. 99% of the time they get to me alive and healthy.

Actually this is what happens when you ship juveniles and adults, or a private seller ships chicks. Drop off the box at USPS then FedEx or another carrier picks them up at the sorting facility and delivers them to the destination sorting facility. That causes issues too. USPS can't track them while FedEx has them. The box gets bumped for dry ice, doesn't arrive on time, and you have no idea where the birds are. In some parts of the country sellers have to call before shipping to make sure FedEx has a dry ice free flight available.
Interesting. I did not know that part. Thanks for the information.

Are you sure about that? I have juveniles shipped to me periodically. I just got some last week even. USPS tracking works all the way and I get them without an issue.

Are you sure about that? I have juveniles shipped to me periodically. I just got some last week even. USPS tracking works all the way and I get them without an issue.
I learned all this from my postmaster when there were shipment issues with birds I had sent out. Some were late when FedEx bumped them for dry ice, which they are not supposed to do with live shipments on Mon-Wed. My local USPS office could not locate them because they only had their tracking number and not the FedEx one. FedEx can't find them either if you call them.

Then there was the time I sent 2 boxes of rare birds to Oregon. That person was surprised there was no number for me to call to make sure there was a dry ice free flight for them, as that is what she has to do. Here there is no such number unfortunately. The consensus from my local PO and the Oregon PO was that someone at FedEx mistakenly put them on a flight with dry ice and all 11 were DOA.

I no longer ship birds.

Last edited:
I learned all this from my postmaster when there were shipment issues with birds I had sent out. Some were late when FedEx bumped them for dry ice, which they are not supposed to do with live shipments on Mon-Wed. My local USPS office could not locate them because they only had their tracking number and not the FedEx one. FedEx can't find them either if you call them.

Then there was the time I sent 2 boxes of rare birds to Oregon. That person was surprised there was no number for me to call to make sure there was a dry ice free flight for them, as that is what she has to do. Here there is no such number unfortunately. The consensus from my local PO and the Oregon PO was that someone at FedEx mistakenly put them on a flight with dry ice and all 11 were DOA.

I no longer ship birds.

It must be a sometime thing because I sure haven't run into that problem with live bird shipments.

Hi There,
They are finally here! I placed an order for 15 Light Brahma chicks from Lancaster Fancy Fowl. Unfortunately, I only have 8 live chicks. I know it's their policy to replace the loss so, I'm still working on that. I'm just wondering if this is somewhat typical as far a loss goes or is it above average loss? Until now, I've only ever gotten chicks from our Agway. The last time I ordered from them, when I went to pick up my chicks, they were short on Buff Orpingtons due to death so they replaced it with my silver laced wyandotte.

Anyway, just wondering what your shipment losses have been like.
Thanks.
Carrie

That's above average, but the average is because of shipments like yours and the gal that has zero dead so it's not unheard of..Sucks more than anything...

We look at it like, this is going to happen no matter who you use[on occasion], it's how the place handles it that I care about...We use McMurray, I can't say enough good...Last order had 4 die out of 27, they added 5 to my next order(even after sending an extra, along with the freebie they always send), I called to change some males to females and let them know they added too many, not only did they know they added too many they wouldn't let me pay the difference from male to females AND will mark the males for me!...Again, I can't say enough good about them...

But yes, anywhere near 50% is way too high, but who's fault, who knows and hopefully they just handle it and you're happy...

Last edited:
I have only had a bad shipping experience once (out of 10 or so).I have never lost birds in shipping except that one time. That one time shipping took one extra day (4 days in shipping) and I got a box of 100 dead chicks. Aside from that I have never had a problem and I've used multiple hatcheries.

I had my chicks shipped from Murray McMurray last week. It took them less than 24 hours to arrive (they are only 150 miles south of us). They all arrived alive, but we have since lost three. They were three of the smallest chicks. I personally would order from the hatchery closest to you (or find a local breeder). GL!

On the dry ice subject. Last year a shipment from a hatchery came into our feed store froze. 100s of chicks, it was horrible. One was alive out of boxes and boxes. This year they are opting to not carry any.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom