Surviving Minnesota!

What's your plan with them? How many birds do you own? How many breeds? I don't have any that color, but I don't have any bantams either. I think I would need to keep them under cover all the time or they would be Hawk/eagle snacks.
They may be a remake of Silver Ameraucana bantams . I have made them at least 3 times already . Not pleased with the ones available now . Not one of my remakes . No well defined pea comb in any of them . A coon took my last cock and I have no hens . So what do I see here . Blue silver partridge = blue silver laced . A wheaten type hen that could be splash wheaten . Combs 1 cushion on a hen and 1 hens shows influence of single comb . So you need to lose the laced pattern and the blue . Tail carriage is too high . So proposed first cross is to a dark Brahma bantam cock because I have one . Better comb , lower tail angle and recessive feather leg . Ideal would be dark Brahma hens but I do not have any . Brahma body type will get rid of any gamey body type . Old English has been used in the silver bantams . Dark Brahma is silver laced / silver partridge . Which is silver plus pattern gene I think . Running on memory . In first cross all females will have yellow legs due to sex linked inhibitor of melanin . Layman terms slate legs act liked they are sex linked . Males will be willow legs and some yellow . Depends on what the hen carries .

Guy canning pictures and methods . This is 7 quarts of juice with 8 half pints on top . Processing the juice and preheating the cold packed paste . Time saving .

This is the mesh bag from the cider press .

Bag with paste .

paste out of bag .

paste in half pints .
So yield is 8 half pints of paste and 15 quarts of juice . No boiling down .

@jerryse
Do you have an opinion on what to breed to my blue cochin hen?

Last edited:
So there's an auction for a breeding pair LF cochins. Your choice of black blue and splash. They are directly from Jamie Matt's himself. He said that if I won I could choose the colors I want.
I currently have April, who's a light blue, and Gary who's a darker blue.
Wondering if anyone has an opinion on what colors I should get. I was thinking of blue and splash, since there some black breeders around here.
It is nice to have all three colors of the variety to work with to try getting the right shade of Blue. The Splash, I have read, is supposed to help express the lacing the Blues are supposed to have as well. Although, I don't know if mine ever had good lacing, more like 'edging' which is different and gives a weaker distinction of color separation on each feather.

I would use splash . Then you get blue and splash .
Now I would go with a Black cock with that one to intensify the Blue more and get those black ticks out of the color, and hopefully give some lacing to her color as well. She is a nice deep bird, but I would try getting a bigger head on her.

Raining here . OK Ralphie answering some of your past questions . Cousin does not get fruit from her banana trees . How many chickens maybe 50 adults . How many breeds mostly 3 with an occasional oddity . Look up shaggy mane mushroom . We get those here but I think it needs to get cooler . Very moist here so mushrooms should be growing . There are surely some oysters growing . Just not wanting to brave the river bottoms . Humid , skeeters and stinging nettle weeds .

Back
Top Bottom