Surviving Minnesota!

Good Morning - so cold my back door was frozen shut. Got it open though - I am woman!
Ralphie - Ugh! Please let us know how the flocks are. We are all anxious for you. One thing to remember - that rooster was out and about so it could because he was an easy meal. I am naturally optimistic and hopeful because I do not want to think of the other possibility discussed.

I have not been out to the run yet. As I said I put two heat lamps in that smaller area - when I reach in and 'feel' the air it is not all that terribly warm. I am anticipating what I may find when I go out. Will need to go soon so no eggs freeze.

Hibernation!

Ok, I admit to lurking! You make me feel that it is warm here in southeastern Pennsylvania!

Sometimes its just fun to read and have a laugh. Its okay. We are all Minnesota NICE! And we like visitors. So Good Morning to you Lelanae and I am glad you live where you do. Other parts of the country are in a deep freeze of course. Ours is the coldest - always. LOL

Ralphie if it had been a bird of prey that killed the roo you should have seen quite a pronounced mark in fluffy snow from wings on take off. Is it possible it was a feral cat? Other than that I would guess mink, but whatever it is likely to be back and would prefer a fresh kill to the one already deceased and frozen.

I am not finding this very comforting EJB..

I am hoping I have some birds out there still. It is just amazing how brazen and fast this was. When I went out the and found him the carcass was cold and the feet were froze solid. There was only 90 minutes at most since I had been out there working.

CYRUS I need you bring your skills and get this critter.

Good Morning - so cold my back door was frozen shut. Got it open though - I am woman!
Ralphie - Ugh! Please let us know how the flocks are. We are all anxious for you. One thing to remember - that rooster was out and about so it could because he was an easy meal. I am naturally optimistic and hopeful because I do not want to think of the other possibility discussed.

I have not been out to the run yet. As I said I put two heat lamps in that smaller area - when I reach in and 'feel' the air it is not all that terribly warm. I am anticipating what I may find when I go out. Will need to go soon so no eggs freeze.

Hibernation!

He was out and about, only because he escaped my grasp, attempts to move him. However, my pens are not weasel proof. They maybe mink proof. If a mouse can get in or out a weasel can.

I should go out, but nothing will be accomplished by that, so I will just have more coffee and head out in a little bit. I have another of Bert Jrs brothers in the ICU awaiting the his car trip to visit the nice Asian family. I could hold one back, but I promised them 5 roosters. Judy thinks I should hold one back. I think that is going back on my word/promise so I won't do that.

They are driving from Brooklyn Canter to get 5 birds, so 5 birds is what they get. I wish I could trade a turkey for one but she already said she was not interested in a turkey. I could give her a Creamer, but then I am down to only one creamer and that could be bad. I have that one with the beautiful pheasant colored wings, but that is for coffee. And I have the EE I wanted to keep for my EE's. Just rambling and thinking as I talk to you guys.

See my dilemma? Become a dishonest liar or short myself my back up rooster.

How much of the carcass was actually consumed ralphie?

None of the carcass was consumed. the neck was skinned for about 3 inches and the neck "bone" was broken in 2-3 places.

There was no blood in the carcass to speak of, which kind of indicates weasel right?

I am going out now to see if there is more damage and to look at the kill site in daylight and see if I missed something..

BTW it is still 16 below here.

Last edited:
Ok a long boring post.

I went out all my other birds are fine.

I took pictures so here they are. I did lighten them one notch just to show the details a tad.

The one below gives a little perspective with my size 13 in it.

I put a 5 gallon bucket in this one.

Here is the kill site, as you can see there is a wing mark, looks like an owl leaving, but could be the rooster flailing.

I am actually wondering if I had to predators here. The owl that did the kill and may have been scared off by me looking for the rooster, and a second critter that came by as an opportunistic feeder on the carcass. Maybe I even scared that one off. There were some feathers in the track or along the trail going south.

Back
Top Bottom