Surviving Minnesota!

Ralphie, regarding your poor luck with clear toad eggs...
Have you ever seen Bert Jr 'doing the deed'?

If his size is near to Conrad I wonder if he is struggling to seal the deal? I have seen Conrad fall off the hen several times while trying to procreate and the hens don't give him a second try.

Ok silly question what are toads? What incubators do you have?

I needed to correct your question.. LOL

Toads are my own name for a crossbreed I am trying to create. Amazingly enough Kloppers is working on the same crossbreed on his own. A toad is a cross between a CX and a rainbow. We both got ours from the same source so if we find 3 more trying this we could petition to have it as a APA breed!

I am having some problems with mine I am in generation 3 of them. It appears my rooster has problems, and an owl killed my back up toad rooster. On another thread a BYC member went Ape Poop crazy on me for calling my crosses Cornish cross crosses. Said that was a patented copywritten name and I could not use it for my mongrel chicks. So I changed the name to toads so he could claim a win. ( I am a nice guy like that)

I have 2 farm innovator (hard shell plastic Styrofoam) incubators, 1 little giant incubator, and a GQF 1202 I got from EJB.

I have placed extra turning trays in the hatching area. I have not used them yet. BUT I wanted to say I could hatch almost 400 eggs at once in it. Then I have the 123 the other 3 could hatch. So just to make my DW cringe, I keep telling her how great it is to be able to hatch 500 eggs at once! She is not amused.

We already have 5 chicks living in the living room. I bought a shelving unit I have in the dining room I am putting cages with Mama heating pad caves in. She claims to hate what I am doing to her house..BUT I catch her talking and holding a chick now and then...

Right now I have the foam incubators set up as hatchers (in the dining room) the GQF is in the basement, even I knew that in the dining room could have pushed her over the tipping point. I use the trays from them as egg turners holders while the eggs wait to go into the incubator.

Ralphie, regarding your poor luck with clear toad eggs...
Have you ever seen Bert Jr 'doing the deed'?

If his size is near to Conrad I wonder if he is struggling to seal the deal? I have seen Conrad fall off the hen several times while trying to procreate and the hens don't give him a second try.

I have seen him start the deed, I do not know if he seals it, I know he does not get as many tries as the other roosters.

I am thinking Holm needs to learn AI for us. The other thing is the hens are a tad large too make the deed easy to do. I think some of them are starting to get bad legs too.

Ralph I think Ed or King George need to make a trip to the CX hens. You will still get big birds and a better chance of them breeding naturally. You get size from the hens so I think they would still grow to be giants.

I needed to correct your question.. LOL

Toads are my own name for a crossbreed I am trying to create. Amazingly enough Kloppers is working on the same crossbreed on his own. A toad is a cross between a CX and a rainbow. We both got ours from the same source so if we find 3 more trying this we could petition to have it as a APA breed!

I am having some problems with mine I am in generation 3 of them. It appears my rooster has problems, and an owl killed my back up toad rooster. On another thread a BYC member went Ape Poop crazy on me for calling my crosses Cornish cross crosses. Said that was a patented copywritten name and I could not use it for my mongrel chicks. So I changed the name to toads so he could claim a win. ( I am a nice guy like that)

I have 2 farm innovator (hard shell plastic Styrofoam) incubators, 1 little giant incubator, and a GQF 1202 I got from EJB.

I have placed extra turning trays in the hatching area. I have not used them yet. BUT I wanted to say I could hatch almost 400 eggs at once in it. Then I have the 123 the other 3 could hatch. So just to make my DW cringe, I keep telling her how great it is to be able to hatch 500 eggs at once! She is not amused.

We already have 5 chicks living in the living room. I bought a shelving unit I have in the dining room I am putting cages with Mama heating pad caves in. She claims to hate what I am doing to her house..BUT I catch her talking and holding a chick now and then...

Right now I have the foam incubators set up as hatchers (in the dining room) the GQF is in the basement, even I knew that in the dining room could have pushed her over the tipping point. I use the trays from them as egg turners holders while the eggs wait to go into the incubator.
lol.png
I think our house is on it's way to becoming like yours. We have a small magic egg incubator on the counter (with my serama eggs) and we just broke out our farm innovator 4250 with egg turner for the first time. So I haven't used one like this before, my little one you just put water in the bottom. With the innovator one there are holes on the bottom so I can't put water in it to bring up the humidity (I'm at around 34% and want it up to 45% to 50%). I'm a little concerned too because the motor on the egg turner is so hot
hmm.png
is that normal?

lol.png
I think our house is on it's way to becoming like yours. We have a small magic egg incubator on the counter (with my serama eggs) and we just broke out our farm innovator 4250 with egg turner for the first time. So I haven't used one like this before, my little one you just put water in the bottom. With the innovator one there are holes on the bottom so I can't put water in it to bring up the humidity (I'm at around 34% and want it up to 45% to 50%). I'm a little concerned too because the motor on the egg turner is so hot
hmm.png
is that normal?

IMHO that is way too high. 34% sounds ok, 45% too high (edited to make that more clear)

I run my GQF at around 25%. I like that. The foam ones are harder to keep level, I add water when it gets down to 10-15%. I try to run 40-45% last three days then let it creep up to 60 ish during the hatch.

But I think you should talk to Jerry about it, he is by far the expert here on hatching birds.

I just went and touched the motor on one of mine. I can not even say it is really even warm..

Last edited:
IMHO that is way too high. 34% sounds ok, 45% too high (edited to make that more clear)

I run my GQF at around 25%. I like that. The foam ones are harder to keep level, I add water when it gets down to 10-15%. I try to run 40-45% last three days then let it creep up to 60 ish during the hatch.

But I think you should talk to Jerry about it, he is by far the expert here on hatching birds.
Thank you :) I tried a dry incubation on my last little batch and increased up to 65% during hatching, but they were kind of sticky (like they were shrink wrapping), so I'm a little more paranoid about it this time.
You should be living up here, are feed mill was looking for a chick hatching person. They'd love to have 500 chicks hatching :)

These frozen egg days are cutting into my hatchery program!

That said I planted some eggs last night. 13 toads, 3 ss and 29 creamettes..

They hatch on Mar 2nd. If I get a SS rooster I will name him Art, as the 2nd would be my late Dad's Birthday

Ivie you need some SS chicks in early March?

Yes Ralphie! I NEED some SS chicks in March. Oh - anticipation - its almost as good as going on a warm, beach vacation.
Thank you for the concern for my chickens - they seem just fine.

Not one pip from the eggs set to hatch today. Soon I will know if the incubator really did a spike on me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...uhArwVLfzF7tv3oEw&sig2=voYRtZvt7BVBSAdoctGvVg

Ralph and Klop... This is the song I play for my sister when sge starts throwing a fit when she cant go to her friends house... It drives her crazy... And I fear for my life when I play it...
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...uhArwVLfzF7tv3oEw&sig2=voYRtZvt7BVBSAdoctGvVg

Ralph and Klop... This is the song I play for my sister when sge starts throwing a fit when she cant go to her friends house... It drives her crazy... And I fear for my life when I play it...
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

OHHH THE MEMORIES of raising kids.

Back
Top Bottom