Surviving Minnesota!

After looking at the Cool-lite and then at a few other candlers on amazon i dont see why I couldnt make a plastic ring (I'm envisioning electrical tape over something rigid) that would fit over the end of my super bright 2AA LED maglight. It would essentially do the same thing and is probably brighter than those other lights.

I should have done a little more research before being a pest asking....
We tried at first just cupping our hand around an LED flashlight, and it works, but it was kind of clumsy and I worried about hitting the egg on the lens. We purchased this one last year: http://www.amazon.com/Magicfly-Brig...id=1455684834&sr=8-2&keywords=chicken+candler
I really like it. The rubber egg holds the egg and I can move it so much easier with out trying to make a goofy cupping with my hand. For me it just worked better and I really do like it.

It has been 'warm-ish' here today. 30 degrees or so and the chickens took full advantage. My dogs are getting spring fever though. bonkers all night! I just finished playing fetch up and down the stairs with them for 20 minutes to help take the edge off. They are now happily munching rawhides.

Ralphie all your hatching and incubating talk has me really burning to get my incubator out and running... but i dont even have anything to put in it yet!

I do need to know a few more thing before I am ready to start.
1) Still looking for candler opinions
2) what hygrometer do you use?

For me, and Jerry might disagree, humidity is an "about" thing, I do not worry about it like I see some on BYC do. When I did dry hatch methods or near dry in the foam incubators I did better than trying to get exact humidity.

In the 1202 I am running 25% +or- 3 with no problems using the try that came with it. I do increase the humidity at hatching time. Because I consider it a range I am not going to worry about it too much.

I have several of reptile hydrometers. They have a thermometer on them too, I have no idea how accurate they are, I use the girly ones for temps.

http://amzn.com/B017Z7Y6FK

I doubt that is an active link so you may have to copy and paste. If you need I have the tech ability to tell you how to do that. However, do not ask for much more..

You can spend money on a candler, or you can use a good cheap LED flashlight. Or as Holm said the light on the IPhone I have used both. The wooden flashlight from Menards works best. The lens is just the right size for the egg and you can move the light around to get the best view. The key is darkness in the room you are candling in.

Comment on above post.. I Am better than I thought, it was an active link....SO I did it right, made and active link, and I had my error/mistake for this year! For the rest of the year what I say is gospel!

Back
Top Bottom