Sus Cochin 🥸

Hennyfromdblock

Songster
Sep 15, 2021
Hellooooo everyone, I hope everyone is doing great and has an amazing beginning of a new week.

When my girls go broody, it’s usually in the coop or whatever hiding spot they find in the run (one time inside a tire, and even a flower pot). I find that letting them hatch in their home, the chicks automatically become members of the flock and none of the others have ever attacked/poked the new Chicks.

I have 4 broody hens, all sharing a dozen eggs.
31C32EBE-D4CE-4491-A7C5-CCAB08017D27.jpeg

One cutie hatched out this morning, and the only reason I held it was because I noticed it had blood or a cut on its ear. When I placed it back to the hen it was under I saw my Cochin pecking at it. And that’s when I realized she’s the one that caused the bleeding.
401822F9-A3AA-472E-B32D-6A08C5964119.jpeg

Any idea why she would peck at it causing it harm? She gets really vocal and puffs up when she sees it, she went as far as trying to pry it out from under the other hen. She’s very sweet and friendly, so I’m confused. I would think that since it hatched from the little clutch she had she wouldn’t harm it. I’m aware that chickens will eliminate sick chicks or if their scarce on food. But they have plenty of food and water for sure.

For now I’ve separated the chick and one of the hens that immediately took to it. Should I keep them separated? Put them back in at night? What would you suggest?

I've had one sweet cochin hen, the others have been like that. One mix that was three fourths cochin even killed a couple of her chicks.
Could you take the Cochin away? Or separate hatched chicks and one of the other hens?

Sometimes multiple hens can hatch and raise chicks together and they do great. It's cute when it works. Sometimes hens fight over the chicks to see who gets to raise them. I've had hens fight over the eggs once they start to pip, destroying half the eggs. I haven't seen it myself but some people say they see a broody hen kill chicks that hatch under a different broody.

Each hen is an individual with its own personality. You can never tell what any one individual will do, could be about anything.

In your situation I'd remove that hen. Now. Either house her where she cannot get to those eggs or chicks or break her form being broody. Trust your eyes and what you see. She is a danger to those chicks.

Has the Cochin raised chicks before ? I would be tempted to remove her and allow the others to set. If she pecked one chick, she may very likely peck all of them.
It’s her first time along with the buff Silkie and D’anvers. But the Cochin has never pecked at others chicks, in fact she would try and call others chicks to feed. And the Buff silkie and D’anvers immediately took the chick in, which is why I didn’t think it had to do with being a first time mama. When I saw that she was the culprit I did remove her immediately, but then I thought what if when the rest hatch she’ll peck them also. But I guess it could still happen regardless if I removed her or not. I’m thinking maybe moving the others and the rest of the eggs to a huge dog cage I have, still keeping it in the run though, use it as a brooder for them? And leaving the Cochin. I chuckled a bit when I removed her and saw her walking around the rest of the flock very threatening and puffed up screeching, so I thought maybe at least an egg for her?

I've had one sweet cochin hen, the others have been like that. One mix that was three fourths cochin even killed a couple of her chicks.
Could you take the Cochin away? Or separate hatched chicks and one of the other hens?
Yes, it’s possible. For now the one chick is with one of the hens. I’m planning of separating them all from the Cochin.

Sometimes multiple hens can hatch and raise chicks together and they do great. It's cute when it works. Sometimes hens fight over the chicks to see who gets to raise them. I've had hens fight over the eggs once they start to pip, destroying half the eggs. I haven't seen it myself but some people say they see a broody hen kill chicks that hatch under a different broody.

Each hen is an individual with its own personality. You can never tell what any one individual will do, could be about anything.

In your situation I'd remove that hen. Now. Either house her where she cannot get to those eggs or chicks or break her form being broody. Trust your eyes and what you see. She is a danger to those chicks.
Thank you so much. I’ve never really thought of that, on how their personality plays in how they raise. I’ve always thought all chickens raise their young the same or similar. Immediately my gut feeling was to separate but then I started over thinking and wanted to just leave the chick since it was under another hen that has raised before. Reading your response makes me glad I followed my instinct and separated. I’ve started setting up already so hopefully all goes well.

If you move all of the hens right now, they make stop setting on the eggs. Moving the Cochin is a far more logical move.
Yes! I’ve separated the Cochin and left the rest. I’ve left 2 eggs with her, the only 2 she will sit on since becoming broody, and she immediately sat on them. Thank you once again ☺️.

Back
Top Bottom