Susans Hens

Pics
I guess thatā€™s a possibility as well. One that I hadnā€™t considered.
How are your hens doing ?
My pets are doing well. They stopped laying for their winter break. Some are already in the Geriatric portion of their life. My RIR that is 9 1/2 years old only laid about 10 eggs in 2021. My OEGH bantie that is about 6 years old,, only laid about 15 eggs. I only have 6 hens total,, and only one is a pullet that is nearing 1 year old. She gave me almost an egg daily until now,, when she went into molt.
Few years ago I had a sexlink like your Isa Brown. She produced very well for me. At about 3 1/2 years old she said "adios":hit I was prepared for that since I knew they don't live long lives compared to heritage breeds. Sad regardless to loose a pet:(

The weather has hit us hard in BC again, temps in the minus twenties, have been challenging. My ISA brown is still sitting on eggs, not sure how viable our rooster is, but chicks in the winter will be a first. I didnā€™t expect her to go broody, but she did, and this has been going on for a while. We are heating our coop to keep the girls warm, placed abundant hay to keep the cold off their feet.

Hello all,
Hope everyone is well this new year.
My hen Pecky, an ISA brown who is coming 5 this spring, is having trouble standing and walking upright. She is the hen who went broody during our cold snap. She may be suffering from malnutrition, as she didnā€™t eat much during the weeks she was broody, and now on top of that, she is moulting with much feather loss as well.
Iā€™ve provided vitamin/electrolyte water, and a high protein scrambled egg breakfast. Any other ideas would be great, Iā€™ll take pics when. I go out later.

Back
Top Bottom