Suspected Vent prolapse, ~ 3 week old chick

fauskie

In the Brooder
May 17, 2020
Harrisburg, PA
Chick is a barred rock about 3+ weeks old, I suspect pretty severe vent prolapse and appears the rest of flock pecked pretty good at her. I tried pushing the vent back in (it was out about 2" or so, looked like an earthworm dangling out her vent)

Chick is kind of standing straight up and hovering with eyes closed and almost like its having contractions.

Attached is pic that doesn't really show how far the prolapse was when I attempted to push back in but should be good enough to confirm.

Planning to keep her separated from flock and without food and water but not sure I got the vent back in sufficiently (used Neosporin).

Anything else we could be doing and how successful is pushing the vent back in to the bird recovering?

Attachments

• 61271903610__42E26F65-CE98-40EA-A54D-FA53E1CBE102.jpeg
    61271903610__42E26F65-CE98-40EA-A54D-FA53E1CBE102.jpeg
    535.3 KB · Views: 22
If other chicks pecked are her prolapse was there dead tissue on it? If so, it will most likely keep popping back out. I dealt with it with my hen and until I removed the dead tissue with tweezers and warm epsom salt spray it would not stay in.

It’s hard to tell, is the dead tissue white/grayish?

I suspect other chicks were pecking because a lot of her tail feathers that were starting to come in are gone and the area around her vent seems pretty raw.
With chick being so young, is there an easier way to push back in? I was using my thumb and made some progress but not sure I got it entirely in.....

Soaking her daily in warm Epsom salts water might be helpful to heal it. Keep it moist with ointment at all times while it is out, but keep trying to push it back inside. If you can get a clear picture of it, that would be good. Make sure they are not overcrowded, since pecking can increase.

Chick is kind of standing straight up and hovering with eyes closed and almost like its having contractions.
Planning to keep her separated from flock and without food and water
Good tips from everyone.
I would not withhold water and offer her wet soupy food. I understand she's trying to push, but dehydration will make her situation worse. The standing and hovering with eyes closed, she's not doing well.

Soaking her daily in warm Epsom salts water might be helpful to heal it. Keep it moist with ointment at all times while it is out, but keep trying to push it back inside. If you can get a clear picture of it, that would be good. Make sure they are not overcrowded, since pecking can increase.

Here is a better picture.

I just gave her a good warm epsom salt water bath and cleaned up that area. Managed to push the prolapse back in. I made a mixture of neosporin & hyrdrocortisone that we rubbed all along her vent and rear area.

Attachments

• IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 11
That sounds good. The picture didn’t show up. Make sure that she is kept separated if the prolapse comes out or until you are sure it will stay.

Good tips from everyone.
I would not withhold water and offer her wet soupy food. I understand she's trying to push, but dehydration will make her situation worse. The standing and hovering with eyes closed, she's not doing well.

Yeah, I've since made her electrolyte water (Streseez Plus mix) and pushed her head down in it, shes taken a few sips.

She started walking around a bit more but is still more subdued than usual.

Hoping it stays inside and we can nurse her back, my 10 year old is beside herself but I also don't want the bird to suffer.

That sounds good. The picture didn’t show up. Make sure that she is kept separated if the prolapse comes out or until you are sure it will stay.
I forgot to attach picture, it's edited and part of that post now.

I do have her separated all by herself inside our home.

The other chicks shouldn't be crowded, are in their full size coop & run area now, about 12' x 8', 18 chicks (minus the sick quarantined girl).

Back
Top Bottom