Suspected Vent prolapse, ~ 3 week old chick

I honestly don't know what I'm looking at there, I think it's primarily tissue with some poop spots attached. The tissue seems to be staying in but her vent & rear area keeps contracting....I'm almost suspecting she's blocked up somehow? They've been in their outside coop area for the past 3-4 days now and I've seen them eat random mayflies and even dug up grubs, but other than that they haven't eaten anything different than their chick starter and supplemented with a small amount of chick grit......

Those "contractions" to me look like the workings of abdominal air sac(s) there are 2 of them.
Interesting right there at the end, there is almost Bubble that comes out of the skin. Just once.
I'm sure @Eggcessive will chime in with her thoughts. I would like to see what @casportpony and @coach723 make of it as well. (could just be me and my musings LOL)

You are doing a good job keeping her clean. She may be constipated. I would work on her drinking well first, then wet soupy feed. You can also give her 1/2 tsp of coconut oil or mineral oil if you feel she's blocked up.

Since she is not old enough to lay yet it's most likely constipation. I would work on hydrating her and give the coconut oil to see if you can get things loosened up. It looks to be a fairly severe prolapse from what I can see, so it may take several tries to get it to stay in, if it's going to. It is really important to keep everything moist until you can get it to stay in. I'm attaching a video that shows treating a prolapse (though not as severe), and a link to another which shows a bandaging method that may help to keep it in long enough to hopefully stay (scroll down for picture).
https://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/topic/45813-prolapsed-vent/
The actual vent pictures start at about minute 5:40 below:

Unfortunately I had to put this chick down. The prolapse kept reoccurring and I didn’t want her to suffer any longer, she was going downhill and it seemed inevitable.

I still don’t know what caused the prolapse, I noticed some of the chicks pecking and trying to eat the hardened spray foam I used to fill gaps in their coop; I removed everything I could but maybe she ripped off a big piece and couldn’t pass it and it was the cause of he prolapse?
Still have 17 birds out of the initial 18 that are doing great and getting big, starting to explore life in the big yard outside their fenced coop and run.
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions to all that posted!
image.jpg

I'm very sorry about your chick. A difficult decision, but sometimes the kindest thing we can do for them. :hugs Hard to say why she prolapsed, some birds just seem to be more predisposed to it happening than others. It may have really become an issue for her when she started to lay. I'm very sorry, but hope you enjoy your remaining chicks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom