Sussex Pullet gasping for breath. Please HELP!

megan1988

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
Okay so I got a Sussex pullet about 6 days ago. Today I noticed her gasping for breath. She is up to date with worming as I did her when I got her. What could it be?

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Sussex pullet-very large for her age.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Not moving/eating/drinking. Making rasping sounds as she stretches her neck up and opens mouth. Sometimes shakes head. Runny dropping. Some white mucus in mouth.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? First noticed about 4 hours ago.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No other chickens are fine.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Have hand fed some water.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Bought inside in a seperate cage. Given some water.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Preferably treat myself as its a Saturday night and no vets open till Monday.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Could be pneamonia. My chicken had the same thing... I gave her garlic so that if it was fungus in the respiratory system. Still don't know what it was that helped her but I tried everytging and it worked so you might as well give it a try. I gave her garlic incase it was a respiratory fungus. Just crush a clove of garlic and put it in the water... Take the chicken with the problem inside under a heat lamp. Heat water so that the body doesn't have to use its energy to heat the water to its body tempurature. I also put peppermint in the water to help with the breathing. This of course is all natural remedies... But it worked with my baby... So you might want to try

Hope all goes well

Sincerely,
BeautifulJade
1f414.png
1f424.png
1f424.png
1f424.png

Thanks for the replys.

I put some eucalyptus oil on a tissue near her cage to help her breath. She seems a little better this morning and is drinking but still not taking food. How would I know if her crop was impacted?

Checked the crop but it is soft. She is still wheezing but not as badly now. Has eaten a little bit of yoghurt and drank some water. My local stockfeed said it's probably a respiratory infection and gave me some powder to put in her water. No effect yet though. :-(

Back
Top Bottom