Sussex Rooster Quiet - is this normal???

CountryMom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
South Texas
We have a pair of Speckled Sussex - much to my surprise when they came from the pullet pen. LOL Anyhow, the Rooster has always kind of sung to us like a cooing bird. He has started to crow now and it is in that same voice. I call him my singing bird. His crow is very pretty and clear, just very song like and quiet. Has anyone ever had a hen or rooster that make this noise and not normal clucking and crowing? In other words, is this normal?

Just edited to say he is nearly 4 months old now.

Last edited:
I am still newer to chickens, but I think you are really fortunate to have him!! I think chickens are just like other animals in that they all have their different ways about them & personalities which is partly why I think I like them so much??
smile.png

My rooster which accidently came with some pullets was so persistent with his very loud crowing extremely early in the morning 'til night that I could not keep him because I could not keep disturbing my neighbors with him. ( Tho my neighbors were so kind about it thankfully!!)

Lucky you..........
woot.gif

You know I thought of that. Being a city chicken he would be nice a quiet. Here it really does not matter as his closest neighbors are my family. Dad has been excited from day one when I brought home the chickens. And the next ranch down the road had their own flock.

I just find him curious with his singing coo and crow. He is one of the four I want to keep.

I have three Speckled Sussex roosters, and two have "whisper crows," and the third has a voiced crow, but very quiet. Maybe someone has been selecting for the perfect urban rooster? They are the quietest of the breeds I have had, so far. Needless to say, I will be selecting for quiet voice, too! They are full adults, and the two I entered placed 1st & 2nd in the MO Poultry Association show in April 2015, so that confirms for me that they are typey for the breed. They also friendly with people.

Back
Top Bottom