Rooster crow sudden change

FamilyofThree

Chirping
Dec 1, 2022
Our Rhode Island Red rooster (who is exceptionally sweet, lets us pick him up and pet him, and after a high hormonal adolescent learning period has become very gentle and gentlemanly toward the hens) is about 9 months now. Last night we noticed that his 4:30am crow had changed from the typical straightforward er-erer-ererrr to something that sounded like it had a little twist in it. It sounded like it was back to normal at his 5:30am crow, but my husband said he heard the changed crow again during the day. Any thoughts as to what is causing this or what we should do?

My old rooster changed his crow. He started crowing just er-erer-ererrr just like yours and changed to a er-er-errr. He may be trying to make his voice sound better for the ladies. But I think it may be normal though.

Any other changes going on?
New birds, “gasping”, any sort of odd behaviors?

The shift in his crowing may just be normal, but, if there is anything else (even if it seems like it wouldn’t be important but is relatively new), please let us know.

Thank you for the responses. I haven't noticed any gasping or wheezing. There was a significant temperature change locally from balmy upper 70s to suddenly just below 20 degrees several nights in a row, but it is back to warm and humid again now. We have had an increase in cats prowling our backyard lately, but no attacks. We've been a bit more cautious with letting them out only while we are keeping an active eye on them. The daytime crowing usually seems to be a back and forth between our rooster and the neighbor's across the street. His little chucking sounds indicating food for the hens sound the same too.

Back
Top Bottom