Svart Hona crosses

Evelit

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2018
Hey everyone! I’d love to see some of your svart hona crosses, intentional or unintentional! I just hatched 7 chicks and have been really into seeing cross breeds. I do know the the fibro gene presenting itself isn’t guaranteed which is part of what makes seeing all the possibilities so fun. Share!

I have been crossing Svart Honas with BBS Ameraucanas and Black Langshans. This cockbird is from a Langshan cock and Svart Hona hen. Crosses from the reverse pairing had much more of Svart look. This f1 hen is Svart cock and Ameraucana hen. She just showed up with these chicks after hatching them out in the woods. I really like these crosses, savvy flyers with a really low predation rate. They lay well too. Not so happy about new chicks this time of year tho!
Both the BBS Ameraucanas and Langshans have white skin, so the fibro gene shows up reliably in the f1s.

Attachments

• BA4652B7-BE91-443E-A03C-6EE070A70A48.jpeg
    BA4652B7-BE91-443E-A03C-6EE070A70A48.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 7A4B36D3-5ECD-4DBB-A4AF-D5307473334B.jpeg
    7A4B36D3-5ECD-4DBB-A4AF-D5307473334B.jpeg
    583.7 KB · Views: 61
I have been crossing Svart Honas with BBS Ameraucanas and Black Langshans. This cockbird is from a Langshan cock and Svart Hona hen. Crosses from the reverse pairing had much more of Svart look. This f1 hen is Svart cock and Ameraucana hen. She just showed up with these chicks after hatching them out in the woods. I really like these crosses, savvy flyers with a really low predation rate. They lay well too. Not so happy about new chicks this time of year tho!
Both the BBS Ameraucanas and Langshans have white skin, so the fibro gene shows up reliably in the f1s.
They’re gorgeous, and cute little chicks too. I hear you on chicks right now! Prepping a coop for reliable heat is such a pain and anxiety inducing

No need for heat with the hen, but prime airborne predator season. She is keeping them close to the barn, so we might be ok, at least until they get a little older.
Been raising chicks under hens, what a game changer! No disease, no worries about heat, she teaches them what is good to eat...the benefits of broody type breeds almost offset the endless downtime, lol..

I have a svart bona cross to. I don't know her mom's breed. But her dad's breed is indeed svart bona. I don't currently have a pic but I can get one tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom