Svarthona flock - Maricopa County Arizona šŸ™

danieltuttle

Hatching
May 17, 2022
Rio Verde Foothills, AZ
So chickens are kind of my major hobby and I love my birds, but I'm starting to come to terms with the reality that I can't afford the time, energy or resources to maintain it.

In 2019m I had a stroke. I recovered well more than could have been hoped for but I am far from fully recovered. Then 2020 happened and things got really bad for me. I am extremely susceptible to COVID, with multiple comorbidities that are high risk for COVID. On one hand, my rural property has kept me safe and my birds have helped keep me grounded and keeping me with something to do.

After being dealt a few heavy financial blows, I am having a hard time keeping things held together.

So, this post is looking for a serious buyer that lives in a rural area and can take on this responsibility for these birds in particular. If I find the rehoming daunting I may break it down into smaller groups but I'll cross that bridge when it gets there.

The biggest chunk of my flock is Svarthƶna. I have 20+ hens(I think 21 but each time I try to count they move šŸ˜†). I also have about 8 roos. I would expect the flock buyer to take three roos.

FWIW, the roos get along great. They get a little aggressive with each other once in a while but I never have problems with it getting out of hand.

My flock has a unique bloodline. My original birds, which account for about 5 of the ones out there, came from a breeder locally in Queen's Creek. I believe she got hers via Greenfire Farms but I can't verify that. At some point, I met a breeder in Colorado and bought a few birds from them which diversified the gene pool. I do not believe they came from Greenfire but again... not sure. Whatever the case, the offspring created were pretty remarkable and had no real color leakage I could see.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191022170143383_COVER.jpg

Not perfect but definitely handsome. All of these birds are docile. Some are a little cautious with people but all are mellow and not aggressive, including the roos.

This also would come with my hand-built chicken coop. 1) it's mostly big enough and 2) you'd be doing me a favor taking it šŸ˜†

Not that there is anything wrong with it. The construction is a bit, uhh, dubious and but it's solid and lined with hardware mesh and very secure.

My priority here is finding a good home for all my friends. But Im also aware of the value of what I have here. While not the most prolific layers, my genetic diversity is about as good as you will reasonably get and they've had a lot of human interaction and are reasonably docile. They are fun to be around. It isn't necessarily the most popular breed, but if you can penetrate the market(I did for a minute prior to my stroke), you have good stock here.

So I don't have a specific price I'm looking for but you should make me an offer and if agreeable I can have you out to visit the birds. Again, my priority is their well-being, I love these guys.

Back
Top Bottom