Sw Florida Swap..... October 3, 2009....

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by magikchick, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Songster

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:yes he is! I loved him alot but he just wouldnt give my younger ducks a break [​IMG] well technically he wanted to give them a break just never managed to do it!

just be carefull when you try to stick him in a small cage or pen, He wasnt happy about me taking him on a trip and give me a nice HARD Nip on the hand putting him in there [​IMG] though hes never biten me before

2. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I want to thank everyone who attended the swap. It was great to see old friends and meet new ones. The weather was hot but not grossly so. I learned a few things, always good to talk with people and pick up tips. I hope everyone had a good time.

Marsha

3. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    I was a lot of fun, although I came late and didn't find what I was looking for - not a big deal because I loved seeing all the birds. I'll have to think seriously about quail after learning so much from Swamp Roo... have a good week everybody!

4. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Songster

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    I want to thank Swamp roo to for the baby quails [​IMG] their gorgeous!

My cat jix is pretty happy to LOL he likes to sleep by the heat light whenever I have chicks in the room, and guard the birds, This is a chick I raised that was sickly we got from an auction at only a couple hours old, I kept him in till he was completly full grown and jix would sleep on top of the brooder (40 gallon storage container top cut out) and even when it was a chick the quail would sit there chirping to jix and trying to fly up to him LOL (jix wasnt ticked off at the bird like it looks he had just woke up)

[​IMG]

5. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Songster

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    SpinningCottage,

Remember I'm still new to quail myself, but you are very welcome. My wife will send you a message when she feels better. She told me on the way home that she felt bad that she could not really show her normal enthusiasm.

Rainstorm,
    I hope they work out well, no one should be "quailless". LOL! The eggs I gave you are really just what was collected over the last few days. Mutt chicken at their finest. Might even be a RIR/Cornish Cross in there. I have not had any luck with the RIR/Cross FYI. Please just treat all of those eggs as space filler, if you get something more "interesting", just eat them instead, I won't be offended.

Swamp

6. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Songster

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:LOL ok, I had to leave out 2 eggs because I was reading the thingy on the egg turner and it said to not fill the whole thing up, and i got some bei's coming this week so i made it about 4 or 5 empty places extra.

also.. I had a question to anyone who can answer it.. one of the duck eggs I got has a lil crack in it, its not to big its at the top and it doesnt go all the way in, just the hard part cracked, not sure how it got cracked but I was wondering if its ok to conitnue icubating it? or is it gonna be useless now?

7. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    Rainstorm, I'm not sure exactly how you would do this, but I've read on BYC that people just drizzle some wax along it to make sure it doesn't crack any deeper or further. Maybe if you searched that as a topic you could find out more.

Swamp Roo, tell your wife to feel better soon, and it would be a pleasure to talk about spinning and fibers or get together any time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: