Swamp cooler in pen

Pecky03

Chirping
Jul 20, 2019
So I got a swamp cooler this summer because here in Vegas we already hit 100. I hv Two New Hampshire red chickens that are pretty big girls. I have the swamp cooler blowing back-and-forth but aimed down directly at the girls to feel the coolness. I’m just wondering if they can handle the direct breeze. I’ve seen different articles and post about having their coop with a fan but is it blowing directly on them. I’m just questioning because this morning one of the girls was breathing funny and had some diarrhea and I was hoping I’m not causing her a respiratory infection. Her breathing is labored but that’s just because it’s 100° and it’s still at least 90 in the pen. I have the top of the coop open at night for ventilation but I don’t have the swamp cooler on because it gets down to about 80. Throughout the day today she was fine. there’s no more runny poops and she did lay an egg. And she hasn't had a problem with eating.
so the question is can they handle the cool breeze blowing directly on them. I did some research and it said to give her some minced garlic in the water or apple cider vinegar or crushed up an echinacea pill and put it in the water or on her food. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you

I had a swamp cooler at one time and I know they can be vectors of mold and fungus. I think it's a terrific idea to have the swamp cooler in the coop or run but you should avoid aiming it directly at the chickens.

Have you heard of Oxine? You can find it on the internet. It's a disinfectant and anti-fungal, and unlike bleach, it won't harm motor parts. I would put a little in the reservoir every few days to counter mold spores. The Oxine would be misting in the air over the chickens, and this would be beneficial. It's perfectly safe.

I had a swamp cooler at one time and I know they can be vectors of mold and fungus. I think it's a terrific idea to have the swamp cooler in the coop or run but you should avoid aiming it directly at the chickens.

Have you heard of Oxine? You can find it on the internet. It's a disinfectant and anti-fungal, and unlike bleach, it won't harm motor parts. I would put a little in the reservoir every few days to counter mold spores. The Oxine would be misting in the air over the chickens, and this would be beneficial. It's perfectly safe.
Perfect. Thank u

So both girls were breathing mouths open and heavy. Coop is ventilated. (Tops open) and fan is running. I freaked out and put them in their pool to cool them down and put ice bottles in the coop to hopefully lower the temp. They seem better now. But it’s 101 at 10:00 pm. Should drop down to 77 later but when. Is there anything else I can do to help them at night with this heat. It’s going to be a long summer. 😭

So both girls were breathing mouths open and heavy. Coop is ventilated. (Tops open) and fan is running. I freaked out and put them in their pool to cool them down and put ice bottles in the coop to hopefully lower the temp. They seem better now. But it’s 101 at 10:00 pm. Should drop down to 77 later but when. Is there anything else I can do to help them at night with this heat. It’s going to be a long summer. 😭
I'm so sorry! I feel your pain! It hit 106 here in the CA Central Valley today. It's 79, though, now. Not so bad as NV!

I, too, have a fan and ice bottles in their coop. I have found that lots of shade over the coop has made the biggest difference (I use a tarp and a shade cloth, and part is under a big leafy tree). But I want to put a swamp cooler or a portable AC in there this summer. As dry as it is in your area, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with moisture from the swamp cooler. If you can, aim it above them. I have also found that ice in front of the fan helps. But that's the same idea as a swamp cooler, really.

I'm so sorry! I feel your pain! It hit 106 here in the CA Central Valley today. It's 79, though, now. Not so bad as NV!

I, too, have a fan and ice bottles in their coop. I have found that lots of shade over the coop has made the biggest difference (I use a tarp and a shade cloth, and part is under a big leafy tree). But I want to put a swamp cooler or a portable AC in there this summer. As dry as it is in your area, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with moisture from the swamp cooler. If you can, aim it above them. I have also found that ice in front of the fan helps. But that's the same idea as a swamp cooler, really.

Misters might be a better option in arid climates.
Not an option here in the steamy midwest.....

Deep all day shade is best but....none of that here either, just shade cloths but that barely helps.

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Misters might be a better option in arid climates.
Not an option here in the steamy midwest.....

Deep all day shade is best but....none of that here either, just shade cloths but that barely helps.
Misters! I forgot about misters. I used to use them all summer in the desert canyon that I lived in in the four corners area in Colorado. They were a game changer. The chickens would just sit in the mist all day. We experienced one summer there where the daytime high temps weren't below 110 for 3 months. That was the year we decided to move to Maine. I made misters with PVC pipe and sprinkler mister heads from HD. Super simple and quite lovely to hang out in the mist yourself on those hot days. Often times both me and the chickens would be taking advantage of them! 😂

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom