Sweater rooster

Jillove Farnell

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2020
Can I mixed a sweater rooster with a black langshan rooster ? Both are five months old
DD405EF2-D71E-461F-A5FF-7CA0350784EF.jpeg
9F98537C-0BA7-4DFA-BFA3-EAFC4B17C475.jpeg

I wouldn’t of the sweater has any gameness at all to him he’ll kill the other rooster. That’s just there instinct game birds are a total different animal compared to a regular barn yard rooster you have to separate them even out on acres of land or they’ll kill each other I have to separate some of mine as early as 3 months old to keep the blood shed down.

Yeah he’s a “game cock” just depends on how game he is really as to how far he will take it but I wouldn’t chance it your average barnyard rooster won’t be able to handle a game bird if I were you I’d make a simple 4x4 dome pen for him or make him his own flock of hens. These are domes if you’ve never seen one very simple to build They work great I keep my young stags in them
8F4956B0-6870-4389-A6BC-319F1CCE99BB.jpeg

I wouldn’t of the sweater has any gameness at all to him he’ll kill the other rooster. That’s just there instinct game birds are a total different animal compared to a regular barn yard rooster you have to separate them even out on acres of land or they’ll kill each other I have to separate some of mine as early as 3 months old to keep the blood shed down.

Great post.

AFBA7E5D-14E7-4042-9C30-91C13D99EF08.jpeg
56EAB178-A010-4175-AA05-C1F3E12CF1A1.jpeg
Here’s a dome that was recently built all you need is about 15 ft of 4x4 welded wire cut whatever side you want for the base I like 2x4s but whatever you want cut two at 48” and two at 45” to make a perfect 4x4 square cut a 10 ft price of wire and staple it to both sides I like poultry fence staples best cut two 4 ft pieces of wire and attarch to the ends use good fence clips like hog rings or cage clips. I usually fold the corners over on top for added stability the. Cut you a door out in the front if you wish makes it easier on me to get birds out. if your in a snowy area a piece of pvc pipe in the middle to support the dome up is great also cut you a roost pole and run it through the wire then add your tarp. Hope this helps.

It’s a strain of gamefowl the original breeding was when sweater McGinnis gave Walter kelso a yellow legged hatch cock witch mr kelso bred to his kelso hens and bred them down to 3/4 kelso and 1/4 yellow leg hatch that is believed to be the breeding behind what now is called the sweater. There are a few different variations of sweaters out there including the 5k line sweater the dink fair golden boy sweater and mr carol nesmiths possum sweater just to name a few off the top of my head.

Back
Top Bottom