Swede ducks laying multiple eggs

MoosePing2014

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
I have a blue swede and a black swede about 22 weeks old. The blue started laying just over a week ago. I have gotten one egg per day from her since then. They have all been nice hard shells and good shapes. This morning I went out to find four eggs in her nest. I researched and found that ducks sometimes will lay two in a day, but not more than that. Then around 2, I was out in the yard with them having lunch and she laid another egg right there in the yard. This egg was very soft. I feed them layer crumble and they get tomatoes and grapes for treats along with whatever they dig up in the yard. Is something wrong with my duck? Five eggs in one day? And only one soft. They are kept in a wire kennel at night so no other birds could be adding to the collection.

Is she the only duck you have? It sounds like a stupid question lol, but if you have more than one female then it's very likely you're other gals are starting to lay also... I know that, at least with chickens, all the hens will share a nest for egg laying, perhaps ducks do as well? Mine haven't started laying yet, looking forward to it though :)

I have a black swede as well. Its just the two of them. I believe its a female as well as it doesnt have the curled tail feather and I've never seen them trying to mate. The first few eggs I got were very dark colored and then got a little lighter every day. I was told its the amount of calcium that changed the color from day to day. I haven't seen any from the black

To my understanding, soft shelled eggs (aka "leather eggs") are common in beginning layers. It can be one of many reasons - hormones, lack of calcium, stress, too hot or cold weather, calcium absorbency issues...etc. If she's just started laying about a week ago, then she's probably laying so many eggs simply due to hormone imbalances, and the leather egg could just be the hormone imbalance or just because she's a newbie (almost all of my chickens have laid leather eggs when they first started!). I wouldn't worry about it if she's otherwise healthy - good weight, eating/drinking/eliminating well, active, seemingly happy. Her body just might be able to produce many eggs per day. I've read that the hormones will balance out in time, so enjoy the excess while you can :) Just keep her fed and happy!

On the other hand, if she starts looking like she's suffering, then I'd consult a vet or someone more experienced.

Good luck!!

She seems to be happy. No changes in personality. Still eating and drinking. Excited about her pool. Ecstatic about tomato treats. :) I can't seem to find any other cases online about 5 eggs in one day. Just want to know what's happening my my girl :)

Back
Top Bottom