Swedish Blue Ducks

Rizzo_theduck

Hatching
Sep 9, 2020
Good morning from the not so sunny UK!

I bought two beautiful Swedish Blue ducks...male/female. I incubated one of their eggs and i hatched a gorgeous duck. However she is mostly white...again please see photos. Does anyone know if this is common or rare? She is gorgeous 😍 but haven't seen many mostly white swedish blues. She is 17 weeks old.

Attachments

• 20200519_152023.jpg
    20200519_152023.jpg
    712 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200908_205122_779.jpg
    IMG_20200908_205122_779.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200823_080519_145.jpg
    IMG_20200823_080519_145.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Your blue boy isn't really blue bibbed, he's blue pied :) Mom might be pied too, based on the amount of white I can see on her face and it looks like it might be going down past her chest and onto her stomach.

And at least one of them must be split for e+ (wildtype base). When a duck has one copy of e+ and one of E (extended black), and is also bibbed and pied, you can get ancona pattern, which is what this duckling appears to be. Note that that doesn't mean she's and Ancona, as in the breed, she's just blue ancona in color.

Mom and dad probably aren't actually Swedish ducks, because of these genetics. Likely they are mixes. Not that that really matters, though :)

Your blue boy isn't really blue bibbed, he's blue pied :) Mom might be pied too, based on the amount of white I can see on her face and it looks like it might be going down past her chest and onto her stomach.

And at least one of them must be split for e+ (wildtype base). When a duck has one copy of e+ and one of E (extended black), and is also bibbed and pied, you can get ancona pattern, which is what this duckling appears to be. Note that that doesn't mean she's and Ancona, as in the breed, she's just blue ancona in color.

Mom and dad probably aren't actually Swedish ducks, because of these genetics. Likely they are mixes. Not that that really matters, though :)
Ah thank you so much! That's so interesting! You are so knowledgeable- thanks for sharing. I've googled Ancona and she definitely has very similar markings. 😊

Back
Top Bottom