Swedish duck eggs

WafflesNTimmy

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2016
My Swedish girl laid her first eggs earlier this week, Sunday. I now have six duck eggs total. I thought Swedish blues were only supposed to lay one every three days? It's pretty amazing to me she has got one almost every day. Does this mean in the winter she will stop laying? Or should I expect this from her forever? The eggs seem perfect, but I worry she won't like me taking them from her and that such frantic egg-laying may be detrimental to her health. Can anybody more experienced enlighten me?
By the way, we used them in box brownies and they're the best thing I've ever eaten.

There is nothing wrong with your duck. Wherever you heard that they only lay 1 egg every 3 days is a lie. Ducks, once they begin laying, will lay one egg every day during the egg season. The egg season is typically from mid-February to September or November. Ducks don't like their eggs taken, but it doesn't hurt them at all to take them. In fact, it's good for them, it keeps them form going broody. If they are not allowed to hatch eggs but go broody it can hurt them because they won't exercise or eat or drink while they're broody. I have 7 females, including a Blue Swedish, and I take their eggs every day and they couldn't be happier or healthier.

Back
Top Bottom