Swedish duck not walking

andi_small

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2021
Morning, I’ve let the ducks out this morning to find one of my Swedish Blue ducks didn’t come out, when I’ve gone in to check on her she’s not walking. she can pull her self forward and I’ve checked her legs for any swelling etc to which there is none. If I hold her up she can move her legs to try & walk. The rest of the flock are good, She was fine last night when she went to bed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I would suggest moving the duck either inside the house or make a pen inside the coop that would allow her to easily access the feed, and water, and where you can monitor her more effectively. Try offering her warm electrolytes, and fluids if she is not drinking much.

What you have described sounds like she may have an egg stuck in her oviduct which can create pressure on the nerves surrounding them, and result in short-term paralysis. The onset of this condition tends to be quick and will happen overnight.

As of now, that would guess without any sort of additional information.
Is the duck a current layer?
When is the last time she laid an egg?
Has she had egg issues in the past?
Is the duck currently eating, and drinking?
How do her droppings look?
Are there any additional symptoms worth mentioning?

If you have not already, I also suggest a thorough physical examination if her condition allows you to. More specifically I would be concerned with her abdominal area (distended, hard, etc), how her cloaca looks, and a look over both legs.

Hi, thank u for your reply, She’s about 10 months old & currently laying last one yesterday morning, we haven’t had any issues with her before. She’s eating & drinking she’s laid at the side of her house with both by her. Her droppings are milky white & runny. ive kept an eye on her throughout the day and she is standing & walking a few steps but not running around with others. I checked her over this morning and all appears to be normal

Back
Top Bottom