SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
Yes, they are Swedish Blue, but two are Blacks. One parent was Blue & the other was Black. And I guess the Blue's often have blacks? Anyway, Barnyard Betty I love Splash! Was thinking of naming one of ours Splash, but might have to re-think! Can't have two Splashes on here! LOL!

I like your eggs! I'm hoping my chickens start laying next week and possibly my Swedes the week after. i can't wait, it will be our first eggs from our own chickens and ducks!

My avatar shows my 'White' Black Swedish
wink.png
Breeder said that 15% come out white> not just splash. Humboldt looks like a Pekin, but isn't. The drake is 'Lyon' a Khaki Campbell. Humboldt has just starting laying and has had 8 in 8 days. x I know some breeds lay everyday for a long while, then take a break and start up again. Others lay 4-6 a week. What is normal for Swedish? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Oh she dances too! LOL
Does anyone know what she was doing?

Last edited:
wink.png
Breeder said that 15% come out white> not just splash. Humboldt looks like a Pekin, but isn't. The drake is 'Lyon' a Khaki Campbell. Humboldt has just starting laying and has had 8 in 8 days. x I know some breeds lay everyday for a long while, then take a break and start up again. Others lay 4-6 a week. What is normal for Swedish? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Oh she dances too! LOL

How old is Humboldt? And where do you live? She's beautiful! :) My Swedes are about 21 weeks old - almost 22. And my duck hasn't started laying yet. Not sure she even will lay for me now that the weather has turned colder in northern NJ. I keep looking. But, nothing yet. I might have to wait 'til spring at this point. *sigh*

How old is Humboldt? And where do you live? She's beautiful! :) My Swedes are about 21 weeks old - almost 22. And my duck hasn't started laying yet. Not sure she even will lay for me now that the weather has turned colder in northern NJ. I keep looking. But, nothing yet. I might have to wait 'til spring at this point. *sigh*
Humbolt will be 26 weeks on Wed. So she started laying at 24+ weeks. I am in N NV and temps have been down to 24 a few morns. From what I've read here, if they are going to lay they will do it in the snow if that's what they have. There is still hope for your girls this season. Don't give up yet! LOL

wink.png

I have a Pekin and a Swedish. The Pekin started laying at 20 weeks, the Swedish at 26. At first the Swedish's eggs came out with really dark gray bloom on them, now they are identical to the Pekin's. Before the Pekin started laying I was getting 5-6 eggs per week. Now I am getting 9-10 on average. I'm not sure if the Swedish lays less or if the Pekin is slowing down with the season change. Some days I have two eggs so I know they both laid, other days just one. My EE chicken slowed down to every other day on average from daily when the weather started to change, so it could go either way.

My Blue Swede duck started laying at 20 weeks and she has laid one every day except 1 day and the next day I got a double yolk, the egg was huge. She will normally lay in the stall that I try to lock them up in every evening. If I don't, she still usually goes in there and lays, but sometimes she has went other places. I have straw in the stall and she makes a nice nest in either the doghouse or at the other end of the stall.

Pfff. I have 9 female ducks (all different breeds..only one is a Swede). Their ages range from 23-33 weeks (except one which I bought as a mature pair and suspects she's over a year) and haven't received a single egg out of ANY of them yet, ever. Lazy ducks..

Back
Top Bottom