SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
I got my first black (I believe from its coloring), swedish duckling 8 weeks ago. Cannot tell its gender from its tail yet but from 'her' voice, it definitely sounds that our 'pirate ducky' is most likely a hen. I guess we will see hopefully in a few weeks. We had two but the second one died just two or three days after we got them and we were not able to get another swedish after that matching close to her age. Hoping to get one or several soon, close to her age, just gotta keep looking till we find them. We love her! She is so adorable and quirky and is most definitely a 'people' duck, climbing on me and she likes to get all into my hair, digging around in it, picking at it and curling up as high up as she can get lol! (oh she got her name from our 5 1/2 year old grand baby who loves pirates and that ended up being her name lol!

Peek a boo, what you lookin' at lol!

Um hello?, Coming to get ya lol!

Almost a perfect pose for the camera. She still has some baby fuzz, so soft, towards her tail feathers under her newly grown adult feathers.

Can you believe I just put that water in there? we take her out and let her play in the yard running around like a silly goose chasing bugs but with all the cats in the neighborhood, its not safe until we build a much bigger coop /area for her. Can't wait to move so she can have a pond all her own to play in all the time :)

She is cute! Both my Swedish are very standoffish, so I think you got lucky with a friendly one. Still waiting to see if our Blue is a boy or girl...right now it and the khaki sound like a couple of puppies yipping when they get going, no adult quacks yet.

i have two blue swedish, quackers and milk, very calm wonderful breed got huge quick hard to train to go in coop at night unlike there cayuga friends. hopefully there females cant tell difference maybe when theyll lay eggs whenever that is. great breed over all

i have two blue swedish, quackers and milk, very calm wonderful breed got huge quick hard to train to go in coop at night unlike there cayuga friends. hopefully there females cant tell difference maybe when theyll lay eggs whenever that is. great breed over all

Mine took forever to lay eggs...I think she was close to 30 weeks?

My blue started laying eggs at 19 weeks, she beat my chickens and I was surprised. They are way too hard to train to their stall, I have to go out every night and put them up. Cats in our neighborhood don't bother any of our birds so I don't worry about that. I would leave them out if it wasn't for not being able to find her eggs if I did. Unfortunately my drake has gotten mean with the chickens and I have to leave him penned up most of the time. I hatched out another blue and got lucky that it is a female and got a Rouen at Rural King. I'm hoping him having 2 more females will make his meanness toward the chickens go away. They are almost 2 weeks old this weekend so they got a ways to go. They love the creek.

Our first and only egg layer so far is one of our Blues. She started at 19 weeks. Every morning for a week now when I open the night pen there's just one egg. Everyone is the same age. I can't wait for the others to start.

I believe my ducks are swedish ducks but I'm not completely positive. I'm guessing they are about 4-6 weeks old.

These look like mine we hatched which were a mix between Khaki Campbell (drake) and Black Swedish Hen (leucistic). They are my avatar. Not sure though. But I am sure they are adorable
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom