SWEDISH Duck Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics
What does a male and female black Swedish duck look like I need to know for 4-h
I think with the Swedes, the males and females look the same (besides the curl feather, when it comes in). Sometimes the black males have a green head, if they have that gene.

So hard to say with genetics! My 'White' duck is a leucistic Swedish. I would have sworn she was a pekin, but here are pics of her 7 babies. The drake is a Khaki Campbell. Christian could be a mix, or part leucistic - I have learned that 15% of swedish are born yellow or yellowish and are missing at least some pigmentation. Also, a pair of mallards at my lake had 2 total white babies one year, so????? All I can say is that you have cute ducks
big_smile.png

...And yes that is an ashtray - it was cheaper than a plastic bowl and right size for brooder
wink.png
Awww, thanks so much! They are quite gorgeous, yes. And yours are very pretty too! I can't believe you got so many Swedes from two ducks that don't seem to be Swedes. On that notes, we did have another hatch that looked just like Tetsin. Unfortunately, it died though. We do have another one hatching right now that clearly has blue feathers just like Tetsin did, so we shall see!

The other 22 all have Mallard Duckling markings, but they are all different shades. About half look like normal mallard ducklings; the others are either cream and yellow or gray and yellow. They all have the mask that you see on mallard ducklings. Can't wait to see what they all look like!

What
what doe the puff on its head mean
That's called a "crest." It can happen on any breed of duck and I think it's like a genetic mutation. The skull is soft in that spot and it grows a poof there. I believe it is a mutation that is passed on genetically.

What
what doe the puff on its head mean

That's called a "crest."    It can happen on any breed of duck and I think it's like a genetic mutation.     The skull is soft in that spot and it grows a poof there.    I believe it is a mutation that is passed on genetically.
before you decide to breed this crested duckling, I recommend researching about the gene and its lethal form. I won't breed crested ducks for just this reason, not worth it for a birth deformity that severely inhibits the integrity of the lines.

How so
before you decide to breed this crested duckling, I recommend researching about the gene and its lethal form. I won't breed crested ducks for just this reason, not worth it for a birth deformity that severely inhibits the integrity of the lines.
how do I stop I to why is it so lethal Becuase they are with different ducks

Back
Top Bottom